Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone teach primary full time and have 3+ children?

(11 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 03-Jan-17 18:40:52

I'm just wondering how manageable it is...I'm currently 0.6 over three days. DC are 1, 3 and 4. Eldest dc is at my school, middle starts in sept, youngest (and middle currently) in nursery. It looks like there will be a rare opportunity (for my school) to increase my hours to full time. I'd take it without hesitation if youngest was at school but hoped to stay part time until then. But this opportunity won't come up again for years most likely. I'm seriously tempted. I'm sick of job sharing and would love my own class again. There are many pros to it at work but home wise I can only think of negatives. Has anyone managed it? Anyone changed from part to full in similar circs?

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 03-Jan-17 18:41:49

Oh and another reason to consider is that every year I have to fight to keep my 3 days and not have them spread across mornings. I'm not sure how many more times I'll win.

Strangeswelling Tue 03-Jan-17 18:44:22

I'm currently doing it, my youngest is 6. It is incredibly hard as I'm sure you know, but manageable in a supportive school.

rollonthesummer Tue 03-Jan-17 18:46:57

Nope and I hope never to have to.

Why is it a rare opportunity to go full time?! There are endless unrolled full time positions here-its the part time ones that are sought after!

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 03-Jan-17 19:05:36

When did you go full time strange?
Rare in my school, as extra hours rarely come up as we have a pretty stable workforce e.g. No maternity/retirements due and not much of a staff turnover. I won't apply elsewhere as want to stay at My school for lots of reasons.

Matildasmum13 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:42:50

I am a FT Year 3 teacher, but my children are older and it only worked when they attended my school. It was very do- able and worked really well for all of us smile

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 03-Jan-17 19:44:59

That's one reason I'm considering it Matilda as eventually they'll all be with me there. life is definitely hard right now and I worry that I think will be impossible with less days off. Though the trade off would be a more enjoyable work life. Hmm

howdoyousolvethisproblem Tue 03-Jan-17 19:47:32

I have 3 and work in primary full time. Only went 5 days when all 3 were at school though, before that I was 4 days a week.
I actually find work easier now, I just ended up cramming 5 days into 4!!

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 03-Jan-17 20:23:21

I'm definitely cramming 5 into 3 and carrying my job share which is another part of my even considering it. I worried that I'll be forced to do my 0.6 over mornings and end up in a crapper situation than full time too.

Needmorewine Thu 05-Jan-17 10:28:49

Could you go for it & use the extra money for a cleaner / gardener etc so you can keep on top of things at home? I'd go for it especially as you'd eventually have all three DC there, it's a supportive school & FT would give you poss increased opportunities for promotion / management in future (if that's what you wanted to do) .

Out of interest did you work in the school before DC came along and then get them in or did you apply once you're eldest had started ! (Sorry to be nosy but I sm trying to do this when DD starts school) !

twolittleboysonetiredmum Thu 05-Jan-17 21:12:49

Yeah I think if I did go for it then we'd have to get a cleaner at least. That's my thinking eventually, I was hoping to get the youngest there first but the opportunity might not be there then. But then they're babies for such a short time I don't want to miss it either.
They're a nice school and generally supportive so in that regard it'd be ok. I've been there for circa 8 years but don't live near my school. My husband is also a primary teacher so it was a toss up between the two but we like my school more. It's been great this first term seeing him at lunch briefly etc who knows what teaching them will be like! We've a few staff kids though and they all cope really well x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now