Talk

Advanced search

Job share - Which end of the week do you prefer?

(14 Posts)
Starryeyed54 Thu 29-Dec-16 16:59:34

I'm due to return to work from Maternity Leave in June and am going back 3 days a week.
I can either do Mon - Wed or Wed - Fri. Basically i would like to know which end of the week you prefer to work and why. I'm really unsure and just would like advice and opinions to help make my decision.

Thanks smile

BeanAnTi Thu 29-Dec-16 17:06:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PotteringAlong Thu 29-Dec-16 17:11:16

I used to do wed - fri and really liked it. I now do mon, thurs and fri and thought I'd hate it but it's actually much better.

Crikeyblimey Thu 29-Dec-16 17:14:43

Depends on how the company sort out bank holidays. In most cases your BH entitlement is workers out on either it is a working day for you. So, as more bank holidays are Monday's, you are better off working the beginning of the week. You will actually whet a bit more paid leave.

cantkeepawayforever Thu 29-Dec-16 17:31:07

I think it depends what age group you teach, and how your planning works.

So I teach M-W, which works for me, though it has some irritations:
- Staff meetings are on Mondays. I am in the loop, but obviously don't then have that time for marking.

- I do the majority of 'input' (but possibly a little less of the marking) especially in English, as although our planning does stretch over multiple weeks there does seem to be an input / shorter guided writing / longer writing rhythm to many weeks. However, I can find it frustrating that I don't see the results of that input in the final writing, and obviously the handover has to be really good to close the loop between longer writing and next steps.

It does also depend on the mechanics of the job share, marking policies, your domestic set-up and how 'seamless' you are expected to be. Some schools may allow you to e.g. have 2 sets of English and Maths books which you keep and mark as 'your own', which gives more flexibility. Ours are meant to look identical to a full-time teacher's books but just with changes of marking handwriting, which imposes a good discipline but can have practical consequences if e.g. your domestic schedule is particularly busy on a Weds night (hands up to that one here).

With M-W, I have to be very disciplined about getting all the marking of books to be handed over done on Weds night. With Weds - Friday, if you have commitments - e g. a school or nursery pick-up - on the Friday night, it is possible to spread some of that marking over e./g. the weekend (many is the box of books I have had left on my doorstep over the weekend).

Also, when will your PPA be? In 'your' part of the week in school time? Paid, but in the 'other' part of the week so taken at home? With your jobshare partner (this is brilliant, but rare) / other colleagues or 'solo'?

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Thu 29-Dec-16 17:31:08

I do Mon-Wed and it works for me! Nice start to the week, able to attend staff meetings and finish the week on a Wed which is great!

Chelazla Thu 29-Dec-16 17:33:13

I changed from latter half of week to mon-wed and its so much better!!

cantkeepawayforever Thu 29-Dec-16 17:33:16

Sorry, should have said that I'm primary, so have a single class responsibility. i do think that part time / jobsares work very differently in secondary so few of the above apply. The longer rhythm of marking schedules in secondary - in primary it's always for the next lesson, IME, whereas in secondary there seems to be a period of weeks between a given teacher taking books in to mark - would make my comments above irrelevant.

Starryeyed54 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:11:51

Seems like the first half of the week seems most popular, which is good as that's what i'm swaying towards.
From what the Head said, I would have PPA on a Wednesday afternoon and my job share partner would have Wednesday morning. I think I would prefer to start the week off and just be really on the ball to be organised so I don't take much home.
I'm quite nervous about it all really!
Thank you all so much for responding smile

Chottie Thu 29-Dec-16 18:20:53

Mon-Wednesday for me too!

cantkeepawayforever Thu 29-Dec-16 18:22:26

If you have PPA on Wednesday afternoon, sop can do some marking then, and you are in school with your jobshare partner on a Wednesday so you can do a verbal handover, then that's a dream arrangement - it's the teach-till-3.15-then-take-an-after-school-club on Wednesday, followed by a hard deadline of 5.30 to get home before domestic crisis hits that makes finishing all marking by the time I leave a little tricky and the handover e-mail / telephone call frequently rather late night!

Letseatgrandma Wed 04-Jan-17 18:38:06

I've always done the end of the week. I love the Monday morning feeling when everyone in my house has gone back to work/school and it's just me at home!

Euphemia Wed 04-Jan-17 22:06:19

Mon-Weds sounds perfect! I do Tue-Fri and often feel out of the loop when I come in.

You shouldn't miss out on bank holidays etc either way: you should work 0.6 of the full-timers' days (195). You might end up owed days, or you might have days to pay back to the school, but someone working Mon-Weds should end up working the same number of days per year as someone working Weds-Fri.

Blacksox Wed 04-Jan-17 22:08:13

I used to job share 2/5 days. I did Thurs and Fri and loved it.

I liked the 'fresh start' to the week at home and I got to enjoy the Friday feeling at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now