Advanced search

Classroom assistant

(6 Posts)
adornorising Sat 03-Dec-16 17:06:53

Hi busy teachers and TAs!

Can anybody outline how someone becomes a classroom assistant? There are courses online, some cheaper than others, some saying they're recognised, some not and I can't tell what is worth doing. Is there one that's very widely recognised?

If it's useful this is for a friend of mine who has about 10-15 years of experience as a nursery/creche worker and before that worked in paediatric mental health (about 20 years ago) but isn't a qualified nurse. She's abroad and stuck in her job and enjoys early years kids, so thought of being a TA, particularly in Foundation stages, but is having trouble finding out what she needs (and wants it to be from the U.K. as she's British and would apply to international schools where there's a lot of competition).

Any pointers?

Joz157 Sun 04-Dec-16 19:30:50

I took a couple of p/t courses with my local collage, teaching assistant and special educational needs. I then offered to help in my kids school but not in their class (primary) I ended up with the best teacher ever. Who let me use some of my own ideas with the kids and their reading. She also wrote me a wonderful reference . I then got a paid job with the school in reception with one boy this lasted 6 months and then the money ran out. Went to work for the hearing impaired unit in a primary and then I got moved into a high school . I was honestly terrified, but it turned out to be the best job I ever had. It was there I did my HLTA which means your able to teach on your own in a classroom as cover when the teacher is off. You can also go through a agency and get some work.
I know in Leeds in high school they have the reading matters program so may be there is something like this where you live. Can not tell you how much difference this makes as a lot of children have English as a second or third language.
Hope this helps. If you need more please message me.

Casz Mon 05-Dec-16 20:18:21

Become a volunteer in a school and apply when a job comes up.

WhatInTheWorldIsGoingOn Mon 05-Dec-16 20:21:47

She doesn't need any qualifications as such. She already has a strong background in working with children.

If she can, I would recommend than she volunteers in a school to get some school specific experience. We have a lot of TAs come into the job through volunteering and then being nabbed by the head.

2017watchoutherewecome Tue 03-Jan-17 17:05:44

She would need a qualification at some schools, at my workplace all the support staff have a minimum of an nvq 2 and some have education degrees.

JOEYDOESNTSHAREFOOD Fri 06-Jan-17 21:11:48

Agree with 2017. My borough insists all TAs are formally qualified. Neighbouring borough doesn't, so it depends entirely on the policy of the area she wants to work.

The course below is recognised, and cheap. Several of our TAs did it when it became necessary to have a qualification.

I've just recommended it on another thread so look like I'm on commission. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: