Talk

Advanced search

Current job being advertised as permanent any tips?

(4 Posts)
itshappenedagain Sun 27-Nov-16 22:49:17

Hi! I'm currently on supply after leaving my previous school which I hated. I love this school and have settled in really well.
But as the head teacher is old school everything is done by the book and it's now being advertised as a permanent position starting September ( I have a contract until Easter )
Any tips for how I can make them see I'm the best person for the job? Clutching st straws I just don't want to go from this school now I know what it's like teaching rather than doing crowd control day in day out!

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 13-Dec-16 14:26:00

Make you sure you apply and impress upon them at interview the fact that you have been supply means you already have a connection, that you can hit the ground running as far as internal procedures are concerned, that you already know the staff and kids etc.

Make sure others know you are applying and maybe they'll fight your corner for you. However if the Head or Board of Governors are insistent that they have to go through the correct advertising procedures then they will. Just make sure all and sundry know how up for it you are!

MiaowTheCat Thu 15-Dec-16 07:50:41

Don't undersell yourself because you think they know how you are with the class. I've fallen into that trap myself and didn't get the job as a result. Sell yourself the same way you would with any application for another school.

mirokarikovo Thu 15-Dec-16 07:59:11

Don't assume they will take anything into account that isn't on the application form. If they do it by the book they can't select you for interview if your written application stands out among the strongest 3 or 4 they receive.

Likewise if you get an interview you mustn't expect them to know how good you are at xyz just because you have been doing it for them already. Even if it is in the application form you need to talk about it in the interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now