Talk

Advanced search

References - Non Teaching Staff

(5 Posts)
pixerina Sun 27-Nov-16 08:38:24

I am / was a School Business Manager and left my job almost 2 months ago due to a completely unworkable relationship with a new Head. I didn't have anything else lined up but if I'd stayed, I am sure that I'd have ended up having a breakdown. I could have gone off on sick leave but wanted to make a clean break - I knew I would never go back and didn't want to go through the cycle of OH and HR appointments.

I loved my job and am tentatively dipping my toe back in the water as a couple of jobs have been advertised, one of which really appeals to me. However, I would prefer not to put the Head's name as a reference and instead, use a member of the SLT who has known me for many years.
Does anyone know if I can do this? In the relatively short time that the Head has been in school, there has been a high staff turnover and I know from experience that they will often ring a potential new Head for an 'off the record' chat whilst writing a bog standard reference.

I hate the fact that this person, who dragged me down so much, can have such an impact on my future. I was at the school for over 12 years, am damn good at what I do but still feel like this bully has control over me. sad

TheSnowFairy Sun 27-Nov-16 13:32:40

I would, and could you put the old HT as a contact too?

pixerina Sun 27-Nov-16 15:44:33

Unfortunately not, TheSnowFairy - he is in the very advanced stages of terminal cancer. I will just go with the SLT one and see if anything is mentioned if I get an interview. I'm not ashamed of leaving (anymore....I did feel like a failure at first sad) but I'll have to find a diplomatic way of saying why!

BitchyInnerMonologue Sun 27-Nov-16 15:46:14

Do the "new head I worked with for x months, but y was SLT and I worked with for z years, and can give you a better idea of my capabilities" line.

Worked for me!

DellaPorter Fri 02-Dec-16 21:23:01

I think you will find the SLT member can't write a reference for you without the head approving it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now