Talk

Advanced search

What would you spend £100/£125 to benefit the children most

(13 Posts)
ClimbingRoses Wed 23-Nov-16 19:01:26

OK, so I know it is not much but after ideas please.

I normally give £100 to a charity each Christmas (think goats, water aid etc). This year our primary school has been really struggling financially (for valid reasons) so I know that resources are really stretched. So for once I want to keep charity a bit closer to home and give the money to the school.

However, as much as I would like to give a gift without conditions, I would like to think that it would not just go into the pot of cash/budget.

So where do you think a school would really like a small cash boost - somewhere that often gets overlooked maybe? History resources? An update of RE resources? Fiddle toys for SEN children?

I know it is difficult to tell without you knowing the exact school/state of the current resources - but I just wondered if there was generally an area in the majority of schools that was under-resourced? That always gets put to the "We will look at an increase in budget next year" Or things that are "nice to have" but can never be afforded.

Hope that makes sense. Thank you in advance. (Oh and you all do marvellous jobs - Thank you!)

DullUserName Wed 23-Nov-16 19:54:24

Ask them!
Science or DT equipment often gets in short supply. Or books / artefacts linked to new topics in the History curriculum.
Or they might just want £100 at The Book People or Scholastic.

What a lovely gesture. Thank you :-)

ClimbingRoses Wed 23-Nov-16 19:57:24

I want it to be anonymous though - hence cannot really ask them iyswim.

noblegiraffe Wed 23-Nov-16 20:59:52

Schools don't have to pay VAT so if they made the purchases themselves the money would go much further. Not sure how you could do this though, a voucher?

SittingAround1 Wed 23-Nov-16 21:04:21

Books

chickflick Wed 23-Nov-16 21:09:00

playground toys

ClimbingRoses Wed 23-Nov-16 22:54:56

Ooo, had a thought, what about subscription to The Week Junior?

DullUserName Thu 24-Nov-16 00:27:04

Subscription is a great idea! Also look at Whizz Bang Pop magazine and The Phoenix comic.

booklooker Thu 24-Nov-16 14:59:12

gin

WalterWhitesNipple Thu 24-Nov-16 15:12:54

Playground equipment

WalterWhitesNipple Thu 24-Nov-16 15:14:19

Or musical instruments such as recorders

Zoflorabore Thu 24-Nov-16 15:16:19

At our school it would be books especially in the infants. Dd often brings home books that are Sellotaped together.

Maidupmum Thu 24-Nov-16 20:04:50

Wet play games or lego (from eBay and pop it through the dishwasher). Wet play is universally hated by staff and pupils so it'll be good to keep them entertained!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now