Talk

Advanced search

What else can trained teachers do?

(10 Posts)
indecisivecantdecide Sun 20-Nov-16 11:31:47

As a family we may be moving due to husband being offered a very good job. I am a teacher and have taught for the last 15 years (on and off with career breaks for children). I am not sure I want to keep teaching forever and wonder whether I could look to do something else with the move. Trouble is...what? A complete career change would involve pay cut and we need my salary so was thinking something more of a side step. Is that unrealistic? What else could I do that pays roughly the same as an experienced teacher (UPS) and that would use my skills but wouldn't involve directly teaching?!

Lapinlapin Sun 20-Nov-16 11:32:47

I guess it depends what subject you teach.

Eolian Sun 20-Nov-16 11:33:43

Place marking... Same here, OP. I am currently doing bits of supply, tutoring etc but it really doesn't add up to the equivalent of a proper salary. I don't want to go back to full time teaching though.

indecisivecantdecide Sun 20-Nov-16 11:40:40

I am primary trained but have taught psychology for the last few years. I have seen on other threads that people have moved but they don't exactly say to what! I don't think I want to do supply or tutoring as that is teaching still!

Lapinlapin Sun 20-Nov-16 11:49:02

The people I know who have moved have usually used their subject in some way. So music teachers giving private music lessons, language teachers doing language clubs/ primary lessons and so on.

I also knew a science teacher who went on to work for a company (maybe EDF or similar?) and did some sort of teaching/training role there.

Some wildlife trust type places employ people to do outreach work don't they? I've seen them at children's events in the holidays doing craft activities and so on. No idea how you go about finding a job with them though!

I guess you need to consider what skills you have (and include things like IT, organisation, planning) and see what job adverts match your skill set?
Maybe some kind of PA role?

indecisivecantdecide Sun 20-Nov-16 11:54:38

Thanks for your replies. Educational outreach does appeal but I have always assumed they are few and far between, but worth a look. I guess that is what I'm wondering - what jobs shall I look for to see if my skills match the requirements! I am not the most organised so not sure about being a PA but I am open to investigating it!

DullUserName Sun 20-Nov-16 22:26:05

I'm one who made it into educational outreach for a company. Love it :-) Not many jobs, but keep your eyes peeled for the ads.

BigFatBollocks Mon 21-Nov-16 09:31:25

tethersend Tue 22-Nov-16 22:49:41

I'm an advisory teacher for children in care- every authority has a Virtual School for children in care, and most have qualified teachers working within it, often with teachers' terms and conditions. Keep an eye on Jobs go public and local authority websites.

tethersend Tue 22-Nov-16 22:52:23

Part time post in Cumbria here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now