Advanced search

Classroom Assistants advice please

(9 Posts)
iamamickey Sun 13-Nov-16 17:14:15

Thank you all so much for your quick replies!! I'm so excited to hear I'm in with a chance of this career change!! Will start by ringing some schools tomo and then see where that leads. I'm luck to be in a position were I can vounteer for a while first.

Thanks again

OP’s posts: |
wobblywonderwoman Sun 13-Nov-16 17:12:12

I think your qualifications are good. I would try abd get some experience or ring headteachers in local schools abd see what they are looking for.

RebelRogue Sun 13-Nov-16 17:09:20

Try and google teachin(your county here) jobs and see if they have a dedicated teaching jobs website.

Coconutty Sun 13-Nov-16 17:06:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cocolepew Sun 13-Nov-16 17:02:35

I think the money is good, I'm on £11.59 ph.

Cocolepew Sun 13-Nov-16 17:01:25

I work in a Special School and have the NNEB because I'm very old.
Newer CAs are getting a Classroom Assistant qualification from Tech.
We have had nurses and their nursing degree was enough, especially if there is experience.
Unqualified you need 5 years experience in a SN setting to apply (in my Education Board).

QuiltedAloeVera Sun 13-Nov-16 17:01:22

I'm not sure you'd need any, tbh, given your background.

Experience counts for a lot - if you don't get anywhere at first try to organise some volunteering /shadowing in a school.

But it depends on the job - there are a few different levels of teaching assistant. Some schools will organise training once you're on the payroll.

Nowadays you don't even need to be qualified to be a teacher - thanks, Michael Gove hmm

Good luck. The money's crap but it can be a wonderful job.

RebelRogue Sun 13-Nov-16 16:56:55

Not sure if it would apply to SEN schools/children specifically,but sometimes schools will hire TA's with little experience. You get paid less,and basically train on the job and attend extra courses they might send you too as part of your targets/evaluation, plus the normal ones that you would be required to attend. Sorry no idea about formal qualifications if that's what you'd like to pursue first.

iamamickey Sun 13-Nov-16 16:41:31

I am a registered paediatric nurse but have been on a career break for 3 yrs so I could look after my little ones.

I want to think about a different career now and am v v v interested in SEN as a classroom assistant. Just wondered can I tell me were I start in terms of qualifications.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in