Talk

Advanced search

Advice from English teachers

(13 Posts)
SallyMcgally Tue 08-Nov-16 00:18:17

Just a quick query, as have heard conflicting advice. Do English Language and English Literature still count as 2 separate GCSEs? I heard from someone recently who said they were lumped in as one, but they look separate to me from the specifications. Advice gratefully received.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 08-Nov-16 00:29:50

Still separate in schools. Some exam boards have a combined option (or used to, anyway). My adult learners only do English Language, but Language and Literature count as two GCSEs. As before, however, only English Language is the magic 'English' that everyone is looking for. Definitely two GCSEs!

SallyMcgally Wed 09-Nov-16 11:01:32

Zthanks thistle.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 09-Nov-16 11:02:46

They are two BUT as of this June cannot be taken without the other. You MUST sit (and pass!) both in order for both to count.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 09-Nov-16 11:04:18

thistle have you not found that focus on Lang has changed since progress 8/EBAC? Are you doing a diff qualification that allows Lang on its own?

IHeartKingThistle Wed 09-Nov-16 12:40:26

I honestly don't know, I work for Adult Learning and we've never offered English Lit as it isn't funded. Might need to check that!

Scarydinosaurs Wed 09-Nov-16 12:46:50

What exam board do you use? It must be a different qualification for adults- it would make your job x3 harder to get them ready for both!

IHeartKingThistle Wed 09-Nov-16 13:34:00

Just moved from Edexcel to AQA. In both cases adults take the same exam as the 16 year olds.

MissMillament Wed 09-Nov-16 21:55:03

There is no problem with just taking either Lang or Lit. The problem if only one is taken is the impact on the school's league table standing - Lang does not count for Progress 8 unless Lit is taken as well. It doesn't have any impact on the individual.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 09-Nov-16 22:03:32

That'll be why then!

Scarydinosaurs Thu 10-Nov-16 06:06:09

Ah ha! I see. I forgot that crucial bit!

SallyMcgally Thu 10-Nov-16 13:05:09

Brilliant. Thanks all.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 13-Nov-16 17:02:19

What MissMillament said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now