Teacher training so far - Feeling pretty demoralised

(65 Posts)
itreallyiswhatitis Mon 07-Nov-16 22:00:35

It feels like the system is set up so that you give someone a stick to beat you up with all the time. Constant criticism (or feedback), nothing is ever good enough, even if you pour your heart and soul and time and energy into it. It is inadequate in someway in some people's eyes, purely because it CAN always be different or it is being compared to what they would have done.

I get sent away to 'think about something and come up with a plan', then when I come up with a plan (that makes sense to me), it is pulled apart. Why not just tell me a rough idea of the direction I should go to start off with, rather than to pretend to be all 'open minded' and leave me to stab in the dark and tell me that I'm no where near.

What's the point if you give your best and it's not good enough? What's the point if it is a one way street?

Not feeling good about this today, just wanted to rant.

AtMyHouse Mon 07-Nov-16 23:05:39

That sounds about right.

It only gets worse (unless you're are lucky wi your school/ have a personality that loves it...)

Get out now before you get trapped...

IHeartKingThistle Mon 07-Nov-16 23:08:57

Oh I really want to tell you to stick at it and every day won't be like this.

The problem is, it's Monday night. There are a lot of knackered, demoralised teachers on MN on a Monday night, staring at piles of marking that never get smaller ;)

elephantoverthehill Mon 07-Nov-16 23:12:09

There seems to be an agenda whereby anyone who does a learning walk, observes a lesson has to give some positives and something 'to work on'. It is the same with the marking policy. Why can't I just write 'this is excellent, well done, you really show understanding of the topic. Keep up the good work!' But no I have to find something to extend the student. TBH I just ignore the 'work on stuff' they have to come up with it to tick boxes.

Soozikinzi Mon 07-Nov-16 23:15:36

That's just how it is that's what they are told to do just blank it xx keep going with yed down

calzone Mon 07-Nov-16 23:15:54

Honestly?

Quit now.

Just walk away.
I have worked with too many teachers who wish they had walked away and I know 12 now very happy teachers who have found something else to do.

Lots of people will berate me for saying this but there are very few supportive SLTs and schools who will value you.

BackforGood Mon 07-Nov-16 23:17:33

Think you've just about summed it up. sad

leccybill Mon 07-Nov-16 23:19:00

God yes, get out. Don't look back. It only gets worse and worse and worse.

Wish I hadn't given 13 years of my life to it and would never advise anyone to enter the profession. Nothing is ever good enough.

PetyrBaelish Mon 07-Nov-16 23:20:50

Hi Queens. I am doing teacher training now as well. Are you doing a PGCE? Primary or Secondary? Honestly, what you say about the feedback you are receiving does not sound quite right. There should be an emphasis on what you are doing right, as well as how to improve. Is there a clash of personality with your school tutor in your placement?

itreallyiswhatitis Mon 07-Nov-16 23:31:07

Thanks all for listening.

Hi Petyr. I'm doing a PGCE and school direct. Secondary in one of the high demand subjects. I do get some +ve from some other teachers and a supportive vibe. But the main mentor, I wouldn't say a clash as there is little confrontation, but the chemistry does feel 'off'.

Just feels there's a lot of challenge and very little support. We seem to not see things the same way over a few things and she seems fixated on judging me -vely because I don't necessarily share the same opinion or she misunderstands some comments I make (so I am somewhat 'wrong'). Too much fixation on asking me 'open/what' questions furing meetings to give an illusion of consent and my own the process (yes, and all that bullshit that I just smile and go along with).

itreallyiswhatitis Mon 07-Nov-16 23:34:33

Maybe if they think I'm not good enough to teach, then maybe I shouldn't be a teacher. Decision is out of my hands.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 07-Nov-16 23:35:42

Having said what I said, I will say that if you can get through the training and get QTS, you should. It does give you earning potential and that doesn't have to be in school teaching. Loads of other options.

itreallyiswhatitis Mon 07-Nov-16 23:37:29

Why do they do this and at the same time go on about recruitment crisis?

Makes no sense.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 07-Nov-16 23:37:56

X-post. It can feel like that. I was at my first school for 9 years and well thought of, considered a safe pair of hands. 2 years at my next school had me believing I couldn't teach. It took a long time and another job for me to realise that I had been good all along!

It's just whether it is worth it. I'm not sure.

PetyrBaelish Mon 07-Nov-16 23:40:11

Oh that sounds hard. sad I am doing upper primary, there is probably a bit of a culture difference. Do you have a university tutor you can get advice from?

I recently got allocated some teaching in a higher ability maths set (not a strength of mine) and I approached the teacher in a 'I would really value your advice' kind of way which was a little more deferential than I would normally be, I am normally confident in subject knowledge so the different approach really set a different tone and she seems a bit more forthcoming with advice.

itreallyiswhatitis Mon 07-Nov-16 23:42:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wishforsnow Mon 07-Nov-16 23:42:52

I most jobs there is a lot of challenge and little support. Are you getting constructive criticism? Have you any experience outside education that would give you perspective on your performance?

itreallyiswhatitis Mon 07-Nov-16 23:43:26

I hear you Petyr about the deferential tone. But there simply is no time.

Wishforsnow Mon 07-Nov-16 23:46:28

Just seen your update. Stick with it. It's probably just the mentality of people who can't help but micromanage ineffectively

PetyrBaelish Mon 07-Nov-16 23:47:05

Yes, I have found time management one of the hardest things, to be honest. What would happen if you sort of... 'Levelled' with her and said your feedback is leaving you a bit troubled and you think you need a bit more support than you have been getting?

IHeartKingThistle Mon 07-Nov-16 23:55:11

Oh my goodness, you've had an amazing career! You're more able to see the bullshit then - I went straight into teaching and it took me a long time to see through the nonsense! Do you need to be doing this?

itreallyiswhatitis Tue 08-Nov-16 00:00:27

Heart King. You said what I've been thinking. I was saying to someone the other day that I think the problem with being a career changer (after so many years) is exactly that I have a bullshitometre on me.

It's just a question, then, of playing the game.

Do I need to do this? Time will tell.

HeddaGarbled Tue 08-Nov-16 00:02:14

Maybe you need to start asking for more guidance. So when sent away to "come up with a plan", ask for some help and support with that.

I will tell you a story about two colleagues. We are all experienced teachers with a new manager. The new manager observes my colleagues' lessons. She decides both of them are grade 3 (requires improvement). This was before the recent changes to Ofsted which has stopped teachers being given grades on observations. Colleague 1 throws a strop, refuses to be reobserved and gets the 3 on her records. Colleague 2 asks how the lesson could be improved, requests reobservation, does exactly what manager says and gets a 2 on her records.

It's all bollocks really. Play the game, suck up to your mentor. Don't get on your high horse. Don't assume you know everything because you've been successful in a previous career and have a first class degree. Mentoring 2 graduates is nothing, nothing like teaching in a secondary school.

itreallyiswhatitis Tue 08-Nov-16 00:08:03

Hedda. There is no high horse here. I know I don't know everything, far from it. I am venting on MN not at school.

I do need to ask for more guidance, but mentor is never around, there simply is no time.

Badbadbunny Tue 08-Nov-16 08:32:06

I get sent away to 'think about something and come up with a plan', then when I come up with a plan (that makes sense to me), it is pulled apart. Why not just tell me a rough idea of the direction I should go to start off with, rather than to pretend to be all 'open minded' and leave me to stab in the dark and tell me that I'm no where near.

The ironic thing is that is what some teachers do to their pupils. I.e. set a task but don't give them any direction, and then mark it down when it's not what was expected!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now