Advanced search

a query about different positions in school

(9 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Mon 24-Oct-16 08:56:48

Hi all,
I am doing the first placement of my Primary PGCE, and thinking about the job I would like to do after I qualify. I first wanted to teach after doing a volunteer reading role at a local school and would really like to specialise in literacy. I also volunteered at a local primary school and observed their Literacy Support Specialist at work, and it looked like just the kind of role I'm looking for - working within supportive small groups. If you know someone in this position, can you advise whether this job is one that would go to an experienced class teacher, or if an NQT maybe with a further qualification in Dyslexia, might be suitable?
Thanks everyone :D

cansu Mon 24-Oct-16 08:59:35

I think you would be expected to have class experience first. There are intervention jobs around but these are usually part time temporary jobs.

SisterViktorine Mon 24-Oct-16 09:31:18

In my school all the intervention positions are held by ex-full time classroom teachers who have requested to go part time, usually after maternity leave. You do occasionally see them advertised but they are usually part time.

Maybe you would like to work is a Special School? Schools with pupils with moderate learning difficulties would have a strong focus on developing literacy skills.

user1471134011 Mon 24-Oct-16 10:03:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SarfEast1cated Mon 24-Oct-16 15:29:06

That's really interesting thank you all :D

MaybeDoctor Mon 24-Oct-16 15:37:51

I think it is really good that you are looking ahead and trying to see where your longer-term trajectory would take you within teaching.

Realistically you are very unlikely to get one of those roles as an NQT due to lack of experience. The more likely path would be:

Get 2 - 3 years classroom experience, including getting involved in some whole-school intervention projects.
Enrol on further training, such as a part-time Masters Degree or SEN qualification. This would probably need to be in your own time and at your own expense.
At that point you would probably be ready to start looking for intervention or SEN roles.

Hope that helps.

SarfEast1cated Mon 24-Oct-16 15:54:04

Thanks Maybe I was planning on doing a Masters degree in the next few years. I have already had one successful career in publishing and am coming to teaching quite late in life, so am very keen to make informed choices as I go along.

SisterViktorine Mon 24-Oct-16 17:26:17

You could look for a Crested prep school to work in if dyslexia is your main interest and specialise from there. You could well have a whole class the size of a state intervention group.

SarfEast1cated Tue 25-Oct-16 18:16:28

Coincidentally Sister I have applied to do some volunteering at a CRESTED school in Lambeth, will see whether they snap me up or not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now