Advanced search

Job Dilemma

(3 Posts)
Tillyscoutsmum Thu 13-Oct-16 21:20:02

I should've probably name changed for this but anyway... shock

Completed my NQT year last year and loved it but it was unfortunately only a 12 month contract and they were unable to offer me a permanent role (not because they weren't happy with me - I had no issues with my NQT year). Anyway, began a permanent job in September and, without going into too much detail, I hate it. The level of scrutiny, micromanagement and general ethos of the school are definitely not for me on a long term basis.

I had intended to stick the year out and start looking for another position in Spring. In the meantime, an opportunity has arisen in one of the schools I did my placement on (a school I loved and really enjoyed working in). The main issue is that it's only a maternity cover until end of August.

So, do I go (leaving a class full of children half way through a year, which doesn't sit that well with me) for a temporary job but in a school where I know I would be happier? Or do I stick it out until a permanent role comes up somewhere suitable and go for that?

I obviously know the decision is ultimately mine, but would be interested in what others would do in a similar position?

mrsblackcat Thu 13-Oct-16 21:21:46

It depends on your financial situation but on general terms, I think it's better to minimise the changes you make in the early stages of your career. If you can grin and bear this post for another eighteen months you'll be in a far stronger position.

AnaG1ypta Thu 20-Oct-16 07:17:46

Would you be able to finish the year in your current school? If not then go -but the notice period is quite long - have you looked into that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now