'Don't play with X, he will hit you'

(6 Posts)
KohINoorPencil Thu 13-Oct-16 17:34:33

Found myself saying this today and winced.

A child in my class has ASD and is very, very stressed out by school. He can't share toys and he cannot play with the other children.

He shouldn't be in our environment really sad

The other children are trying to play with him and he gets totally panicked because he thinks they are taking his toy animals.

How do you explain this to young kids? I changed to 'You need to wait until X asks you to play' which did sound better confused

Tunafishandlions Thu 13-Oct-16 17:38:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tinks269 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:02:31

What year are you in?
I would be honest and explain that x finds sharing difficult and that you love the fact they want to play and share but to understand that x may not to.
I would also have more than one of the toys x likes so they can have it and allow others to play as well.
Lots of praise when they allow one calm other child to play with them (even for just seconds to start with). Is there an instant reward they could have got this? I.e. Allow others to play and then go on a computer/ play on an iPad etc etc

audreyharley Fri 14-Oct-16 20:45:42

"He shouldn't be in our environment really " How rude, it isn't your environment it's the environment of all of your class, including that child, multiple children of varying personalities and varying needs. Maybe he shouldn't be in your environment, it sounds like he would be understood better elsewhere.

Pud2 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:09:36

I think that's a bit harsh Audreyharley. I think the OP meant that the child was struggling in a mainstream class. It's ok to say that.

Redheadsreallyrock Sun 16-Oct-16 10:56:46

Maybe try asking the parents what they do in similar situations? They may well be delighted you are open to learning how they help him at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now