Talk

Advanced search

Progress 8 appraisal target

(14 Posts)
lostowl Tue 27-Sep-16 18:37:52

But for KS4 year 9 because I don't teach year 11.

How is this fair? It isn't as measurable as year 11 obviously so I feel I'm being put at a disadvantage. I'm not agreeing to it, but was alternative can I offer?

noblegiraffe Tue 27-Sep-16 19:29:16

Eh? How can you have a progress 8 target for Y9 when progress 8 is a whole school calculation done in Y11 once they've sat their GCSEs?

What does the target actually say?

MrsS1980 Tue 27-Sep-16 19:32:39

How can you be measured against other subjects results? Are you a head of year or head of key stage?

lostowl Wed 28-Sep-16 11:58:56

Hi. I'm just a teacher on M4! I thought I was right to question it. Not sure what the target exactly is but I will not agree to doing progress 8 in Ks4 year 9. I don't teach year 11 as I work 2 days a week.

It's just ludicrous. I'll contact my Union if they make me.

lostowl Thu 29-Sep-16 11:31:42

Any idea for a different target?

Fallulah Thu 29-Sep-16 11:33:44

What about % of year 9 class being on track to make/exceed expected progress?

samlovesdilys Fri 30-Sep-16 21:46:10

Surely their progress in yr9 is based upon internal assessment (i.e. You) so you just need to show they make progress along their 'flight path'... through your own assessment...sounds like a win-win target ... but sounds like appraisal is 'jumping through hoops' - exactly what we don't want it to be...I would be more concerned with the tone of the process than the actual target...

mineofuselessinformation Fri 30-Sep-16 21:54:09

Contact your Union now.
And state 'I do not agree to this target' on your appraisal - but warn the appraiser beforehand.

t4nut Mon 03-Oct-16 11:27:59

If the schools policy is that year 9 follow a KS4 curriculum and are assessed against those measures (including progress 8) then its a reasonable target provided it makes sense, is achievable and you understand what it is you're being asked to do.

First step is to ask for the target to be explained.

noblegiraffe Mon 03-Oct-16 17:41:18

Progress 8 is, as far as I'm aware, a cohort-wide measure that says, for example, students at X school achieved, on average half a grade higher in their 8 measured GCSEs when compared with pupils of similar starting points.

It's calculated once they've sat their GCSEs, at a national level. I'm not sure if they're even out yet for this Y11 just gone.

So how on earth could you have a progress 8 target for a class of Y9s?

t4nut Tue 04-Oct-16 08:46:07

Progress 8 is also a progress measure as well as an attainment measure. So depending on how the school has their management information set up it may well be doable to look at it that way. Like I said, needs to clarify what it means specifically in terms of objectives.

noblegiraffe Tue 04-Oct-16 10:24:05

A progress measure based on 8 subjects at the end of Y11. How on earth can it be used for 1 in Y9?

t4nut Tue 04-Oct-16 10:35:25

Because you can do it as you're going along if you have a person competent enough with data. Not sure how it would work with a single subject though - school needs to explain how they're using that metric.

noblegiraffe Tue 04-Oct-16 10:37:34

See, I think that using it for a single subject and class would be a complete misuse of the data. If it's anything like FFT, they were totally misused by SLT who thought that if all children didn't achieve their FFT target then the teacher had done something wrong, rather than it being an entirely expected feature of the FFT system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now