Can any primary teachers advise?

(7 Posts)
starwarsismyreligon Mon 05-Sep-16 15:41:30

I was wondering if phonics as a method of reading is right for every child? My 7 year old has done jolly phonics first few years at school and knows sounds individually but has problems recognising them within a word.
Is there another method I should be using when reading with her?
I suspect she may be slightly dyslexic and I am waiting to see an educational physiologist- her teacher says she is "managing" and is average in her class, not in top group.

I think I might be doing a disservice to her if I am not exploring all reading techniques, is there other ways to approach reading? Any reccomendation for online tools etc?

CandODad Mon 05-Sep-16 19:31:06

For now I would work with what you have been doing, the problem with incorporating different packages without the school support could confuse things further for her at the moment. Could you increase the frequency you support her and decrease the time of each session so she doesn't get bored/frustrated?

Misselthwaite Mon 05-Sep-16 19:34:11

My DS is dyslexic and I bought a workbook called dancing bears. It made a huge difference to his ability to read. It takes 10 mins a day and you could easily do it yourself.

www.soundfoundations.co.uk/product-category/dancing-bears/

Themoleisdead Mon 05-Sep-16 19:36:19

Phonics based instruction is the recommended method for children with dyslexia. It sounds like she would benefit from activities to improve here phonological awareness.
schools-secure.essex.gov.uk/pupils/sen/Documents/The_Ultimate_Guide_.pdf

PurpleOneWithTheNutIn Wed 07-Sep-16 21:32:45

There's a book called Toe By Toe that can be worked through to improve dyslexic children's reading ability, I've used it with several children who already know all their phonics "sounds". Might be worth a look on Amazon? The children I worked with really enjoyed it.

toomuchicecream Thu 08-Sep-16 20:49:06

Have a look at this: bdatech.org/2015/02/08/literacy-toolbox/
I had huge success with it a couple of years ago with a 7 year old boy who had spent 3 years of phonics lessons making absolutely no progress. Half a term using the literacy toolbox and he made at least 6 months worth of progress. I've also used Dancing Bears as linked to above with great success.

starwarsismyreligon Mon 12-Sep-16 12:01:10

Many thanks everyone
Appreciate you taking the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now