Talk

Advanced search

How much info about a child does a TA get to know?

(9 Posts)
Newwy Sat 03-Sep-16 21:43:06

I'm a new TA. I'm in Yr 5 this year. We went back to school Thursday. There's a new boy that joined the school. He doesn't seem to speak, and class teacher has said that his social worker has been in/foster parents and apparently they're questioning how much English he knows but it's obvious he knows English as his writing is great and he is in mainstream. However, that's the only info I was given. Is it that TAs don't get to know more or that the school likely don't know?

CherylMerylBeryl Sat 03-Sep-16 22:18:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

doghairinmytea Sat 03-Sep-16 22:20:12

You should be given a copy of his IEP, but that may be delayed with it being the start of the new school year.

Bestthingever Sat 03-Sep-16 22:24:46

I don't think you need to know much more than that at the moment tbh. Unless you are working 1:1 with this child to help him on one of his targets, there is no need to see his EHCP either. You certainly wouldn't be allowed to in my school. It's possible the teacher is holding back because she doesn't know you and you have to earn her trust. Is this your first job as a TA?

Newwy Sat 03-Sep-16 22:31:50

Yes, it's my first job as a TA.

No, I'm not working 1-1 with him

Bestthingever Sat 03-Sep-16 22:57:48

Ok then you really don't need to know more than that after two days of working in the same class as this child.

Balletgirlmum Sat 03-Sep-16 23:01:58

This really surprises me.

As a parent I would have assumed that all members of staff m child may come into contact with, especially a class TA would know all information about my child especially any social, behavioural or learning difficulties.

angeldiver Sat 03-Sep-16 23:06:28

At the school I work at, all SEN children have a file in a password protected area. All staff have (or can have) access to that area.
If there is anything that is deemed so important all staff should know, an email is sent by senior management with the relevant details.

rollonthesummer Sun 04-Sep-16 13:19:15

In my school-if it was something you needed to know that was relevant to your work with this child, you would be told. If not, you wouldn't be.

It might be that the SENCo hasn't had a chance to pass on the info yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now