Talk

Advanced search

Academic gown for formal school occasions

(13 Posts)
Fuckingmoles Sat 20-Aug-16 15:11:37

I'm starting a new job and it states that I need an academic gown - the job is part time and the suppliers I contacted were really expensive. Does anyone know where I can buy a gown that is reasonably cheap but acceptable?

GinandJag Sat 20-Aug-16 15:13:01

eBay?

You will probably have to fork full price for your hood though.

You can deduct it from your taxes.

joangray38 Sat 20-Aug-16 15:15:05

If you only need it for special occasions You can also hire them.

GinandJag Sat 20-Aug-16 15:15:09

On eBay now - £19.80 new.

I think I will get one as mine is really tatty.

Fuckingmoles Sat 20-Aug-16 15:15:38

Do I really need the hood? sad I am due another qualification soon so the hood will be out of date.

LikeTheShoes Sat 20-Aug-16 15:18:15

Is it a private school? At mine they were worn (with hood) once a year -at prize giving. I doubt anyone would know or care if it was the right hood...

Actually, the head wore his everyday for assembly, but I think that was his choice.

GinandJag Sat 20-Aug-16 15:19:33

You'll have to ask the school. For formal occasions, I have only ever seen teachers with hoods. If it's just chapel, then gown without hood.

Fuckingmoles Sat 20-Aug-16 15:27:40

I'll check with the school (it is a private school) but will buy the ebay one just in case I need something right at the beginning of term. I have to attend chapel so many times a term plus speech day and I am not sure what else in between.

GinandJag Sat 20-Aug-16 19:09:21

Good luck with your new job. I am also moving to a new job and really looking forward to it. I'll be in chapel 5 days a week though smile.

Fuckingmoles Sat 20-Aug-16 19:29:14

Thank you - it will be a very different after 20 years in the state sector. Good luck to you too - your soul will be very pure with so much chapel 😇

NotQuiteThere Sun 21-Aug-16 14:17:37

I got my gown and hood ex-rental from a university outfitters. Gown was £50 and hood £20. I was lucky that they had my hood on sale! Not many teachers were wearing the hood they graduated in, though smile.

If your school has a prep, it might be worth borrowing a gown from one of their staff on events like prizegiving etc.

Sproglets Sun 21-Aug-16 14:27:36

Knights of Castle Cary is where I got mine, much cheaper than the other suppliers, delivered quick too.

Fuckingmoles Sun 21-Aug-16 14:31:49

Brilliant Sproglets - just had a look at Knights and they are much cheaper!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now