Talk

Advanced search

Visible tattoo...? Secondary science

(21 Posts)
Goldrill Sun 14-Aug-16 20:17:08

About to start ITT in September and checking I have wardrobe covered so I never, ever have to think about it again. I have a pretty good professional wardrobe from last job so basically got a uniform sorted. I am a bit unsure about one thing - I've got an ankle tattoo which I chose to always keep covered in my last job - so was always in boots. Am I likely to need to do this for the rest of my working life?!

Might consider getting it zapped if so! I kept it covered previously not because I'm ashamed/embarrassed by it but because I needed to be absolutely sure I was being taken seriously. Not sure at all what impression it gives as a teacher?

ImYourMama Sun 14-Aug-16 20:18:47

Most teacher friends of mine their schools dictate 'no viable ink'

abbsismyhero Sun 14-Aug-16 20:19:38

depends what it is? a flower not so much a naked person=cover up at school

actually just asked my daughter (16 just taken GCSEs) loads of her teachers have tattoos male and female

JinkxMonsoon Sun 14-Aug-16 20:20:33

Tattoos are so mainstream now, are they really considered taboo for a teacher?

Passmethecrisps Sun 14-Aug-16 20:22:34

I have many teacher pals who have visible tattoos. One is a primary teacher and has most of her arms and legs inked. It is likely to vary from school to school and my understanding is that stage schools in Scotland are less likely to have an issue than those in England.

OneOfTheGrundys Sun 14-Aug-16 20:26:24

Loads of staff I work with in secondary ms and prus have visible tatts. As long as you're appropriately, smartly dressed and presented I don't see it's a problem. I'm sure if you don't mention it no one else will!

Goldrill Sun 14-Aug-16 20:33:38

Thanks very much for replies.

I'm not so worried about the taboo bit, more about being taken seriously by colleagues, students, parents etc. I'm knocking on a bit too, so when I had it done they were a lot less commonplace! Sounds like if the school don't specify it must be covered it won't be likely to be an issue then.

To be honest, in my last workplace it almost certainly wouldn't have been - but it wasn't worth the risk.

lljkk Sun 14-Aug-16 20:43:06

Is it something shocking or a cute butterfly?

Many, possibly most kids, have parents with tattoos.
Police officers,
soldiers,
lifeguards,
football coaches,
PCSOs...

CrowyMcCrowFace Sun 14-Aug-16 20:51:29

I'd say it would be fine (secondary English, management role in well-regarded school, big visible tattoo).

Tbh if you're a decent secondary Science teacher, atm you could probably rock up with this...Science teacher

Scorbus Sun 14-Aug-16 20:55:46

I have a visible tattoo (wrist) and am a Primary teacher. Quite a few of our staff have tattoos and the majority of those are visible including some on SLT. It's much less of a problem than it was when I first did my ITT.

tinks269 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:57:04

I would say it really depends on the school. Where I am now there are plenty of members of staff who have tattoos in various places that are on show to varying degrees depending on the weather. I have also heard of schools where they are frowned upon.
However an ankle tattoo so long as it isn't too big should be easy to wear in the open without it being too noticeable.

Kathsmum Sun 14-Aug-16 22:20:49

It will say somewhere in the dress code. Maybe look online in schools docs?
Lots of uk schools say none visible. How strictly they stick to that is another issue...

pectrini Sun 14-Aug-16 22:26:09

I'm a teacher with tattooed hands, obvious at interview. None of the schools I've worked in (some formal dress, some casual) have ever mentioned it.

knitwitter Sun 14-Aug-16 22:27:13

I am a primary teacher. If I was you I would cover it at first, while you make first impressions. Once you are established people won't care, and probably won't notice. Good luck!

AtiaoftheJulii Sun 14-Aug-16 22:28:03

Several of my kids' teachers have tattoos. I've got one on my wrist and I'm in a "bare below the elbows" job so it's always visible.

EnquiringMingeWantsToKnow Sun 14-Aug-16 22:32:09

From what I've heard about the crisis in science teaching recruitment it'll be fine unless you have "All Head Teachers Are Twats" on your forehead. And even then they might ask you whether you'd be prepared to take the job and grow your fringe out.

CrowyMcCrowFace Sun 14-Aug-16 23:18:02

Yup. I'm pretty sure these days most UK science teachers are stitched together from spare body parts & galvanised into action via the bolts in their necks...

Goldrill Mon 15-Aug-16 09:22:08

Thanks all. It's not quite the full face one!

TBH; I'm just starting off, never done anything like this before and am expecting to be a bit rubbish until I've learnt how to do it properly. And am in an area where recruitment is not as bad as nationally, from what I can gather... so erring on the side of caution in all controllable variables.

I wonder also whether there might be quite a lot of people decamping from my area in particular after the Brexit vote - there may be an awful lot of scientists looking at new directions soon enough.

RainyDayBear Mon 15-Aug-16 15:31:42

Science teacher here - if it's a small tattoo I doubt it will be an issue if you're a good teacher!

MidniteScribbler Wed 17-Aug-16 10:07:51

We technically have a 'no visible tattoos' rule, but that really only applies to interviews. We also have a no singlet tops rule. But in reality, we're in Australia, and it gets hot, so people inevitably strip down in summer, and as long as you still look neat and tidy, they aren't going to worry about it. I can think of at least a twenty teachers off the top of my head with wrist or ankle tattoos that you can see. I think it also depends on the type - a flower, heart, quote or butterfly is going to be fine, but a skull or naked woman, not so much.

hollieberrie Thu 18-Aug-16 19:06:16

I have piercings and it's never been a problem. Lots of colleagues have tattoos. It probably varies a bit depending on the head but tbh the recruitment crisis is so bad here they can't afford to turn anyone away! If the candidate has a pulse then they will be offered the job. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now