Talk

Advanced search

What to charge for tutoring

(7 Posts)
Hrafnkel Mon 18-Jul-16 20:01:03

I'm about to start tutoring a student for English Language GCSE. He's ending year 10, about to go into year 11. We've agreed an hour a week, with a few ad hoc sessions in August.

I'm in East Anglia, and this is a schoolgate acquaintance in a small village - our kids are in the same class, so I'll happily charge slightly less than the going rate. I'm hoping this may be the start of a bit more tutoring, so want to be competitive rate-wise but need to charge enough to make it worthwhile.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how much I should charge, please?

catslife Tue 19-Jul-16 13:59:36

I have found the rates on these tables very useful as a guideline www.private-tutors.co.uk/rates.html. Hope this helps.
I would say approx £20 per hour depending on your qualifications and experience.

Badbadbunny Tue 19-Jul-16 15:23:54

If you're providing materials, i.e. worksheets etc and doing marking of homework etc outside your set hour, then somewhere in the region of £25-£40 seems the going rate. If you're just using textbooks paid for/provided by the parent and aren't doing anything outside the hourly lessons, then £20 per hour is fair, certainly nothing less.

SisterViktorine Tue 19-Jul-16 18:31:42

DH charges £50 an hour.

Spandexpanties Tue 19-Jul-16 18:36:10

South west. Typically £35 per hour or 22 for friends

Hrafnkel Tue 19-Jul-16 19:36:14

£50 shock I definitely need to get more tutees!

Thanks all.

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Tue 19-Jul-16 19:47:50

The going rate for a tutor with a good degree and experience but no teaching qualifications was £20/h 20 years ago. I'd expect it to be at least £27-£29/h by now. A bit more if qualified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now