Justine Greening, new Education Secretary

(11 Posts)
ceebie Thu 14-Jul-16 13:24:44

I don't suppose this is likely to change much... or could it make a difference?

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Thu 14-Jul-16 13:29:41

I don't think anyone could be as bad as Gove or Morgan

MachiKoro Thu 14-Jul-16 13:30:00

Not sure what her experience in education is really hmm
Got to be better than Morgan of the rictus grin though.

Scribblegirl Thu 14-Jul-16 13:32:47

If nothing else, it's exciting that she's the first education secretary ever to have been educated at a comp.

Oh, and that less than 30 years after section 28, we have an openly gay Tory Ed Sec. That's quite cool.

I understand that compulsory sex ed may be first on the table - Morgan apparently pro but blocked by No 10.

QuackDuckQuack Thu 14-Jul-16 13:42:34

Theresa May was shadow education secretary, so she has a lot of knowledge in education. I think she may shape the education plans more than some PMs might. And part of that was supporting free schools and grammar schools. We live in an area without grammar schools and I can't really see them being brought in locally. I imagine they might pop up on the edges of existing grammar school catchments.

I'd like to see genuinely fairer funding come in quickly, but that probably is expensive.

I'd also like to see sex and relationship education be made compulsory and a reduction in the influence of religious groups in education, but I'm not sure that either of those will be a policy.

situatedknowledge Thu 14-Jul-16 13:46:27

I'm sure they'll use it as some way of encouraging more grammars. Glad my three are all already in Secondary. Albeit one that is struggling badly for money and has been 'forced' to lead a MAT.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 14-Jul-16 13:53:20

The reduction of influence of religious groups would certainly never have happened under Morgan - she was an anti-secularist, inclined in the opposite direction.

Good thing Greening came out - the timing of that showed good political judgement, I think.

t4gnut Fri 15-Jul-16 12:28:38

You immediately think no one could be worse than Gove or Morgan. Then you remember she is a tory.....

incognito26 Sat 16-Jul-16 06:38:53

When Morgan was brought in everyone said 'Well she can't be as bad as Gove.'

How wrong we were

SnugglySnerd Sat 16-Jul-16 06:41:24

I know absolutely nothing about her but I am pleased she had a comprehensive school education. I really hope she's better than the last two!

Believeitornot Sat 16-Jul-16 06:48:23

She's still a Tory.

Education secretaries don't operate in a bubble doing their own thing.

The reason gove was moved off education wasn't because David Cameron didn't like his policies. He just thought gove was unpopular. Same with May and Morgan.

So, we will get more of the same. Maybe with a bit of tweaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now