Talk

Advanced search

A return to maths text books!

(13 Posts)
rollonthesummer Tue 12-Jul-16 11:06:31

bbc

My last head burnt all the maths text books a few years back (I'm in primary) as they weren't Ofsted-friendly!!

I used to love text books when I was at school...!

louisejxxx Tue 12-Jul-16 11:10:00

I used to like textbooks as a child too, especially the Maths ones. I think mainly because working through it made me feel like I was achieving something, rather than random worksheets just being plucked out of the air...continuity was the key!

rollonthesummer Tue 12-Jul-16 11:13:28

Much less photocopying needed as well!

If we can just get the government to stop changing what's on the curriculum and what's the best way to teach it every ten minutes, then the textbooks won't have to be replaced with an updated version yearly --at great financial gain to companies like Pearson and OUP!!

Badbadbunny Tue 12-Jul-16 13:10:38

Even with changes, the core/bulk of textbooks won't change, so remain usable for many years. Just use worksheets for the few bits not in the text book and ignore the bits that are no longer needed.

Yes, perfect world would mean new text books specifically tailored to the current curriculum, but in the real world, there are fairly easy workarounds.

SisterViktorine Tue 12-Jul-16 18:50:23

I wish they would bring out a decent set of SPaG textbooks with graded practise and loads of examples.

This year has been a nightmare finding enough resources.

SisterViktorine Tue 12-Jul-16 18:51:40

Maybe I will write them

'SPag-a-Day' anyone??

Euphemia Tue 12-Jul-16 19:32:26

We never stopped using textbooks here in Scotland! grin

LockedOutOfMN Wed 13-Jul-16 20:17:22

The textbooks could be online and then children (and teachers) don't hurt their backs carrying them around, there's no excuses for "forgetting" to bring them to school or take them home, and changes or updates can be made instantly without the cost, time and hassle of re-printing.

(I know many textbooks do already exist in online versions).

CharleyDavidson Wed 13-Jul-16 20:23:34

We still have textbooks. I've always thought that they are more interesting than the old black and white worksheets. But we've only ever used them as one more resource to use alongside games, teacher-led activities, investigations and more.

LockedOutOfMN Wed 13-Jul-16 20:54:25

At our school we have to have some form of textbooks as they're used for the cover work if a teacher is sick.

didiimaginethis Wed 13-Jul-16 20:56:46

My school uses this but we don't write in the textbook - use them but write in their jotter

Badbadbunny Sun 17-Jul-16 20:43:18

The online textbooks I've seen are awful. They're just online versions of the paper books so are in portrait whereas most computers are landscape screens. You have to faff about re-sizing and then you can't see a whole page on a screen, so you're moving up and down the page. Even worse, they don't allow printing out, so you're absolutely stuffed. Very, very hard to use.

In theory, a proper online text book would be ideal, but it needs to be made sideways to fit a modern landscape screen better and you do need a print facility .

I'm sure there will eventually be decent online versions, maybe specially written apps, etc., but a simple and lazy transfer of a book to a screen just doesn't work.

CodyKing Thu 21-Jul-16 17:13:40

Screen shot and print that.

Also you can use a PDF app to write on PDF on line

I don't see the point in a black text book with work sheets photocopied stuck in - complete waste of paper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now