Talk

Advanced search

KS1 teacher not offered post for next year - any hope?

(8 Posts)
imsorryiasked Tue 28-Jun-16 14:17:19

Posting here for advice as I don't understand how schools recruit etc. Sorry its a bit long.
DS is just finishing Y2 at a state primary, single class per year.
His teacher has had the class since Feb half term and has honestly worked miracles with them. Haven't heard a bad word against him, the kids and parents like him, gets on well with other staff etc etc.
Between Sept and Feb they had a teacher seconded from another local school who was hopeless - didn't set any homework (not even spelling/times tables), didn't seem to be engaged with the children, poor discipline. Lots of unhappy kids and parents.
The current teacher has picked all this up, worked really hard and got them up to speed, even managing to get them through their SATs without making it a stressful experience.
Anyway, we've just found out that he has not been offered a post next year as he "failed" his interview - which was held during SATs week.
Its no exaggeration to say all of the parents are gobsmacked.
Is there anything practical we can do? I realise that another teacher has been recruited in his place, but is it possible the PPA post would still be open?
Any suggestions please?

BackforGood Wed 29-Jun-16 00:02:18

You can't 'fail' an interview.

My interpretation would be, that another applicant was stronger. The panel select the person who comes across as being the best person for the job.

How would any of us know if there is another position open at the school? confused

Of course there isn't anything parents can 'do', other than let him know how much you appreciate what he has done for the class this last 3 months, and how much you'll miss him when he's gone.

CodyKing Wed 29-Jun-16 00:06:13

They chose the strongest on a points system. Then there's the class lesson and possibly children interview along with governors and head teacher. Maybe include staff comments.

The other teacher may also be known to the school. Also possible that he was too confident or didn't want the post.

You just won't know.

imsorryiasked Wed 29-Jun-16 07:13:47

Back for good - I meant that is it usual for ppa post to be filled after class teachers have been confirmed or would it be on the same recruitment time table?

Cody King - he did want the job and I don't think he would come across as over confident. From your suggestions I can only assume that it is because another teacher was known to the new deputy head - she is coming from his old school which is threatened with closure.

ellesbellesxxx Wed 29-Jun-16 07:18:37

Is there already a ppa teacher though or has it been advertised? At my school, ppa teachers have permanent jobs.

BackforGood Wed 29-Jun-16 23:04:09

As ellesbelles said, the PPA role will only be vacant /advertised if someone has resigned / left the staff.

I'm wondering why you are so invested in this? This is what happens in schools - indeed most jobs I'd have thought. People apply, a short list is drawn up, and a day is arranged when there are various assessment techniques (interviews, very likely sample lesson, very likely a presentation, etc), and then the panel select the candidate that comes across as the best candidate on the day.

Nobody is going to tell you the reason why one candidate was better than another, and quite rightly so.

Apart from anything else, it would be unlikely that your dc will be in their class next year if they had them this year anyway.

Pud2 Sun 03-Jul-16 12:28:48

As a parent it would not be appropriate for you to get involved in this. The fact that you say he 'failed his interview' make me think that there is some playground gossip involved here. Try and trust the school and let them recruit the staff!

aurorie11 Sun 03-Jul-16 12:38:32

As a school governor who has sat on teacher interview panels and also someone who recruits people as part of their job, I would say its wholly inappropriate for a parent to attempt to intervene. Candidates for any job are equally considered for the vacancy they applied for and the best candidate on the day gets the job. I'm assuming on the day, there was a better candidate who fairly got the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now