Talk

Advanced search

What is brexit going to mean for us then?

(17 Posts)
SisterViktorine Sun 26-Jun-16 22:00:35

Assuming economic downturn and leadership chaos for the foreseeable future..

Frozen pay for the next decade?
Reduced funding and therefore less staff?
Ongoing curriculum and exam chaos as there is nobody in charge/ able to focus on sorting it out- Nicky for PM anyone??
Total confusion over whether we are supposed to be becoming academies or not?

Any good news? Maybe Ofsted will fold and nobody will notice.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 26-Jun-16 22:28:59

"Frozen pay for the next decade?"
Comes from the government and was always a possiblity given the hatred of politicians for teachers.

"Reduced funding and therefore less staff?"

The government is actively stopping people becoming teachers, nothing to do with the EU

"Ongoing curriculum and exam chaos as there is nobody in charge/ able to focus on sorting it out- Nicky for PM anyone??"

Entirely down to the government, has been happening for the past 3 or 4 decades nothing to do with the EU.

"Total confusion over whether we are supposed to be becoming academies or not?"

Still nothing to do with the EU the government are forcing this through the back door as now they can force you to change not only if you are a poor school but if they perceive your LEA to be poor as well.

So to put it in context, it wouldn't change whether we were in the EU or out.

SisterViktorine Sun 26-Jun-16 22:32:53

I agree that there were many problems, and many of the same problems anyway.

However, I think there will be less money in the system for public services which will exacerbate and prolong the problems. I also think there will be a lengthy leadership crisis which will exacerbate and prolong the problems.

So yes, related to the vote to leave the EU.

noblegiraffe Sun 26-Jun-16 22:38:50

Any education changes will now be put on hold for the foreseeable future. Forced academisation? Hold your horses. That consultation on how to implement y7 resits? Probably won't happen.

Recession = public sector cuts, even more than we were expecting. Bad times ahead.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 26-Jun-16 22:47:31

Currently the funding to schools although frozen is in real terms a loss in income.

This was before the Brexit, and was already on the cards to continue.

SisterViktorine Sun 26-Jun-16 22:47:52

I think it could be a positive if some of the really terrible ideas get forgotten about.

However, the thought of the reduced funding we are going to face is scary. Even less SEN provision and even higher class sizes- not a bed of roses.

SisterViktorine Sun 26-Jun-16 22:49:50

Can you not see that things could well be about to get even worse then we anticipated though Boney?

justbogoff Sun 26-Jun-16 22:51:18

I was shocked at teacher friends voted leave.
Gove is the antichrist

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 26-Jun-16 23:03:17

SisterViktorine

could well be about to

We don't know what is going to happen, so posts putting forward the worst case scenario is not really going to do any good, so I am not going to worry unduly about them.

But lets be honest about this:-

things in teaching are shit at the moment (and won't get any better soon) so what will teachers do?

We will do what we always do, work hard and put the children first.

SisterViktorine Sun 26-Jun-16 23:13:56

OK- be a grown up- but Gove is the antichrist.

BossWitch Sun 26-Jun-16 23:20:01

Well, I'm planning on getting a new permanent teaching job asap, rather than continuing to try to career change. Fully expect things to get worse in teaching but it will still be better paid and more secure than my other options in the post Brexit recession that we are barrelling towards.

kaitlinktm Mon 27-Jun-16 10:42:45

Concerned about how it might affect MFL.

MsColouring Mon 27-Jun-16 20:04:16

Hoping it might mean that politicians are too busy to mess with education for a while.

annandale Mon 27-Jun-16 20:08:26

Could mean a reduction in the recruitment crisis due to the economy tanking. Not much comfort.

MrsWooster Mon 27-Jun-16 20:11:38

I wondered whether it might be GOOD for MFL, since English is hardly going to be the lingua franca of European business, if you'll excuse a tortured metaphor!

Minispringroll Mon 27-Jun-16 20:15:07

I'm looking at having my teaching qualification accepted abroad. They are looking for teachers in my home country...and they pay them a lot more.
DH isn't quite on board, yet. Watching all of that "racist" stuff on the news at the moment, though. Might make him change his mind. sad Really not sure I want my children to grow up here anymore. Guess it's just lucky that I neither look nor sound foreign.

SisterViktorine Tue 28-Jun-16 07:00:13

Hoping it might mean that politicians are too busy to mess with education for a while.

I agree. Problem is, they've stuffed it up first before imploding.

This is the moment when we need to form a powerful teacher-led body and sort it out ourselves while they are not looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now