Advanced search

What to do with PTTLS?

(8 Posts)
PrincessIrene Tue 21-Jun-16 20:14:36

I have recently completed a BTEC Level 3 in Education & Training (formerly PTTLS) and I'm curious as to what value this actually holds? I do not currently have a teaching role, because I am not qualified, and I'm unsure if this will ever open those doors?

I also have a CertHE in Humanities from the OU, but presume this is also not enough to be able to teach yet? I would very much like to teach History/Classics in the future, what more do I need to do?

Will I still need to complete the degree and achieve PCGE? I have no idea how best to progress from here and I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered with the BTEC at all.

sleepyhippo Tue 21-Jun-16 20:20:43

Further education? I have PTLLS and teach vocational qualifications to adults.

Do you want to work with adults or children?

PrincessIrene Tue 21-Jun-16 20:23:38

Adult education would be fine. Probably better than children tbh, I get enough of them at home! wink

None of the adult education jobs I've seen around seem suitable, they all want higher qualifications in teaching.

sleepyhippo Tue 21-Jun-16 20:28:53

Hmmm my knowledge is fairly limited but I teach health and social care and have had a long career in this field so this together with my PTLLS makes me qualified. Have you looked into doing an assessing qualification too? I have done the Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement.

Obvs my experience is from work-based learning so unsure of the demand for history etc but if I were you I'd get in touch with local colleges and have a word with them about your aspirations, they may have trainee positions. Also try your local councils adult education department!

Hope this helps!

BossWitch Tue 21-Jun-16 20:33:07

You could try private schools - classics is more widely taught there and you don't need a teaching qualification.

PrincessIrene Tue 21-Jun-16 20:50:46

I could do an assessing qualification, I already have the assessing unit from pttls so it wouldn't be much more work.

Will have a ring around, thank you.

LIZS Tue 21-Jun-16 20:59:41

Pttls is enough for teaching adults such as FE or adult education ,even those with SN or LDD. Government funding is currently being directed at back to work skills, ESOL, literacy and numeracy so any additional qualifications in those areas would be attractive. You only really need higher qualifications to teach accredited courses or become involved in course assessment , moderation and quality.

PrincessIrene Tue 21-Jun-16 21:17:51

My CertHE in humanities covers English literacy/language as well as history. Perhaps I need to look into teaching key skills instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now