Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about homework?

(9 Posts)
Bambambini Mon 23-May-16 12:28:19

I'm not acteacher but thought i might get some good insight here. I have a child in
Yr 9 and have been surprised at how little homework they seem to get. What is a normal expectation for this age group in a state school. Also, what is your thought on homework and is it needed or is it just expected? Does more mean better than less? Just want to understand better.

echt Mon 23-May-16 21:13:49

It should be fit for purpose, e.g. a reinforcing exercise for a topic that will be followed up very soon after in a lesson, or research/reading for topic to be stated soon. Could also be the final draft of a longer piece developed in class/first draft that will be worked on later in class. I suppose what I'm saying is that it should not be an add-on for no reason, but closely tied in with in-class learning.

Homework timetables, while often intended to avoid clashes between subject areas, often turn into checks on teacher activity and get filled up with pointless stuff to pacify SLT and/or parents. I have never followed one.

I don't teach in the UK, but my rule for homework ( apart from making it meaningful) is that it's never implied that weekends or holidays are worked for years 7-9.

Senior and exam classes are slightly different.

Badbadbunny Tue 24-May-16 08:02:10

My son is year 9 and I've (again) been surprised at how little homework he's had this year - some teachers have set virtually nothing, yet others loads regularly. Same happened last year in year 8. But in year 7, there was loads of it by every teacher. It's not per subject either. Last year he only got one Maths homework for the entire year, but this year it's 2 per week without fail. It does seem to be down to the discretion/attitude of the teacher.

We've actually correlated his end of year test results against the amount of homework - he's performed worse in the subjects where the teacher set little or none and done better where the teacher sets loads. This matches the whole class too as the end of year reports show the average mark for the whole class, and again, the average is higher for the subjects where the teacher sets more homework and lower where they set none.

I would have expected that there'd be consistency across classes, and that dept heads would have some kind of control/supervision over homework set by their dept. but it seems not. We're destined to lurching between too much one year and too little the next just dependant upon which teachers they have, which seems wrong.

JoRusso Tue 24-May-16 14:04:09

My daughter is a freshman in high school and she gets loads of homework by every teacher. Every one of them thinks their class is the most important. My daughter spends countless hours on homework trying to get everything done.

I was worried that she wasn't getting enough sleep. I heard that some parents used help of college students - paid them to do homework for their kids. I've even found this site buyessay.info which explains how to choose a place to order homework.

Has anyone tried it? Do you think I should use it or should I just tell my daughter not to try to get As in all classes and just prioritize?

kesstrel Tue 24-May-16 18:43:16

If you want your child to avoid having to do a huge amount of cramming in the months before GCSEs in Year 11, they need to understand, when they enter Year 10, that they should be working at learning/making revision cards and notes as they go. In order for them to be able to do that, they need regular homework in Year 9 (at least) to get them into the habit of working steadily outside of school, not just in random spurts when pressure is on. It is extremely irresponsible, in my opinion, for schools not do provide this.

Bambambini Tue 24-May-16 19:14:56

Thanks for the replies. And yes the apparent lack of homework seems to conflict with the homework planners given out in yr 7. I don't want homework just for the sake of it and to keep the parents happy etc but wondered what teachers views were on it - and if lots of homework is better (or wirse) than little.

Also, we are considering a move to a private school with a fairly good academic record but are also worried that this will mean a big change with a lot if homework required.

protar Sat 30-Sep-17 09:04:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ttbb Sat 30-Sep-17 09:14:40

At that age I had a minimum of two hours plus anything we didn't finish in class as a school wife policy. But that was a private school. I think that it is important for teaching work ethic. If you are not used to working hard on your own time how are you going to cope when you go to university or on the off chance you get a real job that doesn't end when you leave the office?

Cynderella Sat 30-Sep-17 10:10:01

We are expected to set h/w every week, and in my experience, it's always the kids who do enough work that are diligent about completing homework. Those who would benefit from the extra work, hand in as little as they get away with. A huge number copy their h/w from others. I see them in the mornings and at break times!

I would like kids to go home and read through what we've done in class, and come up with questions on anything they aren't sure about. I'd never get away with it.

This year, I have planned homework in advance, so it has no meaningful links to a specific lesson. Y11 is easy - revision questions. Y9/10 are vocabulary exercises for the set texts, quotation analysis practice, context research or reading, annotation of unseen poems.

I think most kids in my school get too much homework.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now