Talk

Advanced search

Leaving a school

(10 Posts)
AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 16-May-16 19:40:20

A member of my family works as a TA and wants to leave their school job.

They are thinking of giving in their notice this week but stating their last working day as 31st August. (School finishes mid July so they'd not actually go in to school after 20th July IYSWIM)

This way they'd still get paid up til end August and school have lots of time to find someone new - is this correct though, would they still get paid to end of August?

BossWitch Mon 16-May-16 19:41:23

Yep that's certainly how it works for teaching staff.

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 16-May-16 19:42:06

Wow quick answer and the one I wanted thanks!

tinybellows Mon 16-May-16 19:42:26

Yes I've done this before as a TA.

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 16-May-16 19:48:48

Thanks Boss and Tiny
I will pass on the good news. They've had an awful time at work lately but I think knowing they can leave and say good riddance in 2 months time (but still get paid til end of August) will give them a boost smile

BossWitch Mon 16-May-16 19:50:40

They just need to write in their letter of resignation that their employment with the school will end on the 31st of August.

calzone Mon 16-May-16 19:53:16

I'm a TA and being made redundant next week.......

But I wouldn't hand my notice in until the end of July. She doesn't need to let them know right now that she wants to leave. I bet she only needs to give 4 weeks notice.

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 16-May-16 19:56:49

In regards to the school and staff they've said "fuck em!" but "I'll give notice so they can get someone else for the kids sake"

Rainbowcolours1 Tue 17-May-16 22:06:15

Depends! Read the contract carefully. TAs usually only have to give four weeks notice. Check if they are paid for holidays, is pay equated over 12 months? There are loop holes a school can find in some TA contracts.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 18-May-16 11:50:12

TA pay, like teachers, is generally calculated on the basis of 39 weeks of work, paid over 12 months, so there is no month without pay. Teachers though, have only three occasions a year when they can resign. Therefore teachers are deemed to be employed until the start of the nest term generally, having given half a term's notice.

TA contracts are different, so it's worth checking it. It may be that it says two weeks notice, or four weeks notice, so it could be that your family member would only be paid for the notice period on the contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now