Exam marking - AQA

(9 Posts)
Mov1ngOn Mon 09-May-16 11:48:08

I applied to be an examiner for this year after a huge gap in examining (different board, examined in the old days of paper and standardisation meetings.)

I was told I had been accepted and was in "the pool" in January. I still haven't heard anything though - does that mean I'm not through this year or do they sometimes contact v late? I know they contact last years examiners first.

When I emailed them a few weeks back i got a non-reply lifted from the website.

Also - how does it work now its all online? Do you do your own standardisation online somehow?

Thanks!

DitheringDiva Mon 09-May-16 12:20:30

standardisation is online. You probably won't get called up this year - I didn't in my first year after I was accepted.

Mov1ngOn Mon 09-May-16 12:24:40

Ah thanks,

How bizarre. They still have "applications welcome" for my subject up too, even this close to the exam. When I used to examine in the dark ages they didn't leave it a year after applying. That's not clear on their site.

Or they could be upfront when I emailed them. What an odd way to work!

catslife Mon 09-May-16 14:26:10

Am not sure about AQA as I'm an examiner for a different board, but initial marking contracts were sent out before Christmas i.e. in December. Sometimes if there are more candidates than expected, a few more contracts will be sent out once exam entries have been confirmed in approx Feb/March but agree with PP that it is probably too late for this year now.

Mov1ngOn Mon 09-May-16 18:32:11

I got sent a contract in January but told they choose from the pool later to the exam date! What a funny system....

I might go back to my old exam board....

KinkyDorito Tue 10-May-16 08:21:42

They can take ages to get in touch. Give them a ring and ask, it's what I do if I'm not sure.

You'll get an email telling you how to log in to the online site and then you get a link to go on standardisation and download marking software if your papers are electronic too.

I'm a regular examiner and I've heard nothing yet about this year.

Mov1ngOn Tue 10-May-16 08:40:54

I did email them to ask and just got a vague "we get in touch with examiners when we do" type email back!

KinkyDorito Tue 10-May-16 09:46:39

I always ring - speak to someone, they tend to be more helpful than email. thanks

JustABigBearAlan Sun 15-May-16 07:59:56

What subject? I recall seeing a recent desperate sounding email for Geography examiners, so if that's your subject you're in with a chance!

Tbh they can be a bit disorganised. I applied to mark with them years ago and was told they had no vacancies but I'd be kept on a waiting list and they'd tell me when there was a vacancy. I didn't hear anything for a few years, so one day decided to reapply. They accepted me straight away. So obviously the waiting list hadn't worked.

So my advice would be to keep contacting them - don't just assume they'll contact you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now