Talk

Advanced search

New GCSE requirements for Nursery/EYFS staff

(3 Posts)
breward Tue 26-Apr-16 19:09:10

I caught the tail end of an item on radio 5 live driving home from work yesterday.

They said, as of September all staff working in Nurseries (or did they say EYFS settings?) have to have a GCSE grade C (or equivalent) in both maths and English to be counted in their staffing ratios.

How does that work if you are say, 50 years old with 30 years pre school experience, but only a CSE grade 2 in maths? Are these rules only for new staff? If so, does that mean said '50 year old' could not change job?

Very confused and worried for nursery recruitment.

I am a EYFS teacher and know that ratios in Reception classes are 1 teacher to 30 children, so my TAs qualifications do not affect our ratios. I am more worried for our nursery unit.

BackforGood Tue 26-Apr-16 23:13:29

Bumping as I'm interested in finding out more - this will create quite a big problem, round here.

Ladymuck Wed 27-Apr-16 10:36:11

It doesn't apply retrospectively, so if they already have their level 3 qualification then they're fine, and they count.

Anyone who now wants to take a level 3 qualification won't get it awarded unless they also have C's in Maths & English. So it is a recruitment issue, but it shouldn't affect those who have already qualified at level 3. There are a number of people who have now done the level 3 course this year, but who are not getting certified, so they can still only get jobs as level 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now