Talk

Advanced search

Role being dissolved?

(12 Posts)
PansOnFire Fri 22-Apr-16 14:47:04

I'm leaving my current post in a secondary academy at the end of the school year and I'm not being replaced as my role is being dissolved. I handed in my notice after the deadline for the Easter resignations and no one said anything about leaving earlier than August so I was fine with it all. It's just been announced that all curriculum staff will move to their September timetables after the May half term. I'm worried that this leaves me wide open to being dismissed or being made redundant before my official leaving date, my school has recently become an academy with a whole new SLT team and structure which has caused a lot of unrest amongst staff and they have announced that its in debt.

I didn't know that my role would be dissolved until after my notice had been in a few weeks. I can't realistically see what I will do between May half term and the end of July and I can't see them paying me my U3 salary for essentially doing not very much.

Can they make me redundant seeing as my notice is already in? Could they realistically do anything to me regarding my employment or am I worrying for nothing? I have a new job for September which is not in teaching.

Heirhelp Fri 22-Apr-16 15:27:59

How long have you worked there? If they make you redundant if is a longish and difficult process for them and depending on how long you have been there they will need to pay you redundancy.

I suspect they will make you do intervention, small group work and cover until the summer holidays.

Eelus Fri 22-Apr-16 16:03:33

local.teachers.org.uk/templates/asset-relay.cfm?frmAssetFileID=4941

This is the NUT guidance on redundancy. There is a consultation process they have to go through first, the fact you have handed in your notice doesn't mean they can get rid of you earlier.

PansOnFire Fri 22-Apr-16 16:03:38

I've been there 10 years, I guess I'm just worried about them chucking me out before I'm finished. My decision to leave has been a difficult one but I could be defined as another teaching 'casualty' so not very popular amongst my colleagues at the moment. Not exactly what I had planned for my teaching career!

Thanks for the reply, I thought that's what they'd probably do but I'm not sure they'd be happy to pay me my salary to do that.

PansOnFire Fri 22-Apr-16 16:05:56

Thanks Eelus, I'll have a read smile.

Heirhelp Fri 22-Apr-16 18:46:48

Like the poster above said they would have to go through the redundancy consultant and them they would probably have to give you 10 weeks redundancy pay so they would only have two to three weeks wages.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Sat 23-Apr-16 08:21:27

As your new job is not teaching, could you not start that earlier?

PansOnFire Sun 24-Apr-16 09:21:39

Originally they wanted me to start ASAP but I explained I'd still be under contract with school until 31st August so they've found someone temporary to cover the role.

My worry is that school let me go early and my new job won't let me start until September. I just can't afford to be without pay for that long as I've just returned from maternity leave. I guess what I need to know is if school decide to get rid of me, are they obliged to give me a pay off? Redundancy I know is a week's wage for every year of employment but as others have pointed out, that's a lengthy process. Is there another way of them getting rid of me sooner than the end of my contract? Or is it that they have to keep me until my contract ends?

I think I'm panicking, leaving was a massive decision and I don't want to mess things up.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Sun 24-Apr-16 10:30:05

Redundancy does not have to be lengthy - I and colleagues were made redundant a month after 'consultation'
Why not approach your new employer - surely they would prefer to have you sooner and dispense with the temp.

Eelus Sun 24-Apr-16 10:32:27

They cannot 'just get rid of you'.
Do you have any reason to believe they would try to do domething 'underhand' (unfair treatment to other members of staff / unreasonable expectations being made of you).
Are you a union member? That will give you some protection if they try anything on.

t4gnut Mon 25-Apr-16 12:37:21

They're not going to want to make you redundant as it will cost them more than keeping you for the remainder of the year.

trinity0097 Mon 02-May-16 21:16:38

You'll probably just do lots of cover for a few weeks. That's how I'd use you, or covering the timetable of an not due to start I'm Sept who isn't there yet, or helping colleagues with their classes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now