Anybody worked in a one form entry secondary?

(9 Posts)
Jessesbitch Tue 19-Apr-16 21:26:52

...with 1.5 teachers per core subject?

blueemerald Tue 19-Apr-16 21:30:05

I work in a very small secondary school (4-6 kids a class) with 1 English teacher (me), one Maths teacher and 1.5 science teachers. We are an SEMH school though.

Jessesbitch Tue 19-Apr-16 21:41:02

How did you find it although i'm sure it would be challenging!

fourcorneredcircle Tue 19-Apr-16 22:48:48

I have... I loved it.

Pros are the relationships you build with the students and the adaptability it gives to your teaching. True ownership of a subject. Community links and the fact that the whole school do things together (trips, carol concerts, plays etc)

Cons are that there's no money and everyone ends up wearing lots of different hats - and doing lots of things that they wouldn't have to in a larger school. Lots of extra admin/exam stuff.

Jessesbitch Wed 20-Apr-16 08:14:34

Thanks. I'd be the 0.5 so the 1 would be in charge of exams. Cant decide whether to apply or not. confused

fourcorneredcircle Wed 20-Apr-16 18:50:36

Have you been for a tour?

Jessesbitch Thu 21-Apr-16 14:33:52

Yes...but still can't decide!

GinandJag Thu 21-Apr-16 22:32:12

What are your concerns, OP?

I have spent most of my career in single form schools, including my current school. I love small schools.

G1raffe Thu 21-Apr-16 22:37:30

Wow. I'm not sure I'd like a secondary quite that small but it sounds like you'd get to know people. I guess many private schools are relatively small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now