Talk

Advanced search

new job and dilemma whether to take my kid into that school? prep level

(9 Posts)
schooling123 Mon 11-Apr-16 08:06:27

I have got a new job in a prep school from Sept. My DD goes to a state primary which is about 10 min walk ( 2 min drive) from the prep school where I got the job. My dilemma is whether to take my DD into the prep school - PROS a) perhaps a more acaademic education/environment b) slightly easier school logistics CONS a) I will be worried about my settling into the new job AS WELL AS his settling into a new environment. I think would it be a good idea to 1. start the job muyself and perhaps next year to get my DD there...shall i speak to HT now about it just to air some ideas?

LottieDoubtie Mon 11-Apr-16 08:14:45

No, say nothing until you have decided how you feel about the school from the inside.

Also it's worth considering what would happen at secondary level.

LIZS Mon 11-Apr-16 08:16:50

How old is dd? I wouldn't move immediately but perhaps at the next logical point if the job is going well and it would suit her. Will timings work logistically for you in the meantime?

pinkcan Mon 11-Apr-16 08:19:16

Depends how old your dd is an how she is getting on at her current school I think.

NoahVale Mon 11-Apr-16 08:27:19

Also you need to see how your job works out. Is it a long term contract? or just 12 months?
if you contract wasn't renewed and your dc was still there that could be disruptive

NoahVale Mon 11-Apr-16 08:28:04

you don't need to speak to HT at the moment surely?

colander1 Mon 11-Apr-16 11:05:57

DD is at the school I teach at, but I was there first! She joined after I had already done 3 years. That mean I was established, and already had a 'presence' as a teacher, rather than as her mum. I would wait a while - unless you aren't happy with her current school. Also, if yours is prep, does it carry on up through senior school? If not where will your children go after prep? Once you are used to the private system you may be reluctant to send them back to state school.

TheSnowFairy Sun 17-Apr-16 21:36:19

Often this is used as an incentive by the school, were discounts not mentioned at the time of your interview?

schooling123 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:05:07

Nothing was mentioned and nothing was on the job info pack...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now