Talk

Advanced search

One year contract

(13 Posts)
threeelephants Tue 05-Apr-16 10:38:18

I'm currently on a 1 year contract in a primary school. From a brief conversation with the head, she wants to renew my contract for September. I don't have anything official yet, and I don't know what she'll be offering me.
However, I'm not 100% happy with the school, and I'm looking for other jobs. Obviously, once I start applying she'll have to know, and I'm afraid she then wont renew my contract, and if I don't get another job I'll be left with nothing.
I can't afford to be without a job, I'm the main earner in the family.
WWYD?

threeelephants Tue 05-Apr-16 10:39:45

Slight amendment....when I say I'm not 100% happy, I'm being very British. I'm utterly fucking miserable to the point that I've been put on tablets for anxiety.

ijustwannadance Tue 05-Apr-16 10:42:30

Don't renew if it makes you so unhappy. Your health is more important.

noblegiraffe Tue 05-Apr-16 10:49:53

Until your contract is signed you don't have a job for next year. You need to apply for other jobs.

If she stuck a contract under your nose tomorrow would you sign it? If I were her I'd be doing that to ensure staffing was sorted.

threeelephants Tue 05-Apr-16 14:53:36

Sorry, I posted then went out. I appreciate the replies.
Ijustwannadance, I do agree with you health wise, I'm just afraid. Not being able to pay my mortgage wouldn't help my anxiety.
Noblegiraffe- I don't know. I think I might give in and sign it out of fear of having no job.
We're on Easter hols at the moment, and the job I really want has a closing date of this weekend.
I think I'm going to go for it.
I live in a big city, there are lots of jobs. Chances are I'll get something.
My stomach is churning just typing this- I need to get the anxiety under control.

BrexitentialCrisis Tue 05-Apr-16 15:18:05

I'm a teacher and I totally understand your anxieties- it's like a constant feeling of dread and you feel very threatened as if something or someone is coming to get you.
This was me about 5 years ago now- I quit and got another job - the feeling has abated now despite Nicky Morgan's best efforts and I am so glad. Honestly- we teachers invest so much of ourselves. But you need to look after yourself and your family first. Ultimately, it's just a job- you will find a better one and life will be better than this. Have faith in yourself and stay strong thanksthanksthanks

threeelephants Tue 05-Apr-16 15:39:29

That's so kind, brex, thank you.
I do need to find another job. My children don't need a mum that's this stressed out.

ijustwannadance Tue 05-Apr-16 15:59:27

Definately go for the other job. Is it just that school you dislike?

threeelephants Tue 05-Apr-16 16:39:54

Yeah. There's lots I love about it, my class is delightful. But it's a tiny school, and the head is a control freak. The scrutiny is unbearable, and I'm speaking as someone who's worked under special measures before. Still I've never felt so 'watched'.
She'll do random book looks at 7 at night and leave you little post it notes to tell you what you're doing wrong.

noblegiraffe Tue 05-Apr-16 16:40:51

God, definitely apply for the other job. And any others going.

Good luck!

echt Tue 05-Apr-16 22:21:37

I've been in your position and wrote to the HT saying that as there was no contract in place, I needed to protect my interests by applying for other posts. I said nothing else. The HT was not happy but could do nothing about it.

You've said you're unhappy and there are lots of jobs out there, so jump.

ceebie Wed 06-Apr-16 13:24:07

You can't let fear hold you back from making the changes you need to make. I know that there are risks, but perhaps you need to take a leap of faith. Sometimes even just applying to places can start to make you feel more in control of your own future. Also, hone your interview skills as much as possible, especially as you aren't happy in your current role but you will want your interviews to focus on positives. Many years ago I ready a book by Max Eggert called 'The Perfect Interview' - it really put me in a positive mindset and helped me to promote myself positively. The chapter are short (1-2 pages each!) and you can dip in and out easily, it's a surprisingly easy read. Good luck!

DitheringDiva Wed 06-Apr-16 15:18:16

The Max Eggert book is brilliant - I still have my well-thumbed copy, and I've nearly always got the job when I've used that book to practise for interviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now