Getting into teaching - different routes

(7 Posts)
JocastaFarquhar Mon 04-Apr-16 14:36:05

I am looking at moving careers to primary teaching. I work full time at the moment and have the ability to do 'day release' to retrain. Does anyone know of possibilities for teacher training that will allow me to continue paid employment but get qualified? Hopefully that makes sense.
I have a vague memory of a colleague years ago retraining to become a maths teacher and she did a weekly placement at a school but continued to work in her normal employment until she qualified.

noblegiraffe Mon 04-Apr-16 14:57:30

You can do 'on the job' training via Schools Direct which is salaried, or if you've got the right degree there are significant training bursaries available.

I think there are also part time PGCEs available. I doubt you could train to teach on a day release basis though, it's too intense.

mangocoveredlamb Mon 04-Apr-16 14:58:52

You need to have spent some time in a school before splaying/interviewing so your day release might work for that.
Otherwise look at the work based routes in where you basically teach on the job. I want to say teach first or the Graduate Teacher Orogramme but that may be out of date.
It's a pretty full on process and I don't think you could work along side yr.

JocastaFarquhar Mon 04-Apr-16 15:03:17

Thank you. I have been looking at Schools Direct and it appears that you just keep looking to see if vacancies pop up? Unfortunately I have a history degree so not particularly sought after! However, I have 17 years of leadership and management experience and 6 years of which has been training adults so I hope that experience will count for something. I may sound a bit ignorant but I have been holed away in another area of the public sector and it feels daunting to be branching out into something new!

ceebie Wed 06-Apr-16 12:57:37

I don't think vacanies just pop up. As far as I'm aware, applications for 2016 teacher training opened in October 2015. Places in specific School Direct programs start being filled, and will then show as 'No vacancies'. Also once a sufficient number of trainee teachers have been recruited overall in England, the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) will dictate that providers must stop recruiting even if they have not filled their vacancies at that point.

More info here:
www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/find-programme/availability-training-programmes

ceebie Wed 06-Apr-16 12:59:13

Also, despite your experience teaching adults, providers might still want you to observe school classes. Have you looked into the requirements of the courses you are interested in?

JocastaFarquhar Wed 06-Apr-16 22:30:26

Hi ceebie, many thanks, yes, found out via dofe helpline chat. Am thinking of applying for SCITT and going for primary. I will have 2 pgces but hey ho. I am now thinking about how to budget for the year not being paid! I can get a bursary if 3k which might cover some childcare I suppose! I knew about the requirement to do work experience and plan to set 2 weeks worth up. I would also need the recommendation of a headteacher or equivalent. I have the academic requirements and also 6 years experience of teaching within the work place which I know is not the same but still plenty of leadership, discipline, blended learning, duty of care etc so hopefully that will add weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now