Talk

Advanced search

teacher training

(9 Posts)
DamsenBerry Tue 29-Mar-16 11:41:23

I've always wanted to be a teacher, and now I'm planning on actually doing teacher training. I've got childcare/ education experience. I've been a primary teaching assistant (qualified level 3), a nursery nurse, nanny, special needs worker and play leader. I have an English degree and would love to become a secondary English teacher.

So really I'd like some advice. Obviously I've got about 8 years experience across private and school settings, but everything's at primary level. So ill need to get some volunteer classroom experience at secondary level. My problem is, I can't afford to go back to uni, so I was thinking of applying for the school direct salaried route. I graduated with a 2:2 so I cant get any bursary/ incentive finance wise. Is this the best route for me? Am I missing any options? If it means anything for things like student finance- I am 26 and have been self supporting and living away from parents home for 7 years.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, tips for me? I feel a bit lost and need to figure out a plan. Thanks!

BlueLeafTea Tue 29-Mar-16 14:51:06

If you need a salary you have two options schools direct salaried and teach first. Do you current work in a school or can you take time off work to do some volunteer work/ visit a secondary for a eek to get some experience?

DamsenBerry Tue 29-Mar-16 19:24:03

I'm not currently in a school no, I'm off on a Monday so I'm thinking of getting some experience in a secondary school that way.

I've not heard of teach first, I'll have to have a look into that!

Thank you, BlueLeafTea.

BlueLeafTea Wed 30-Mar-16 01:53:36

One more option I heard about the other day and just remembered!
www.hmcteachertraining.org.uk
Independent school teacher training

DamsenBerry Wed 30-Mar-16 06:17:44

Oh fab thank you!

Scarydinosaurs Wed 30-Mar-16 06:34:09

Whereabouts do you live?

Schools are interviewing now for 'on the job' training. Quality varies area to area, if you're in the south east I'm happy to recommend some good ones?

DamsenBerry Wed 30-Mar-16 07:58:26

I'm actually in Middlesbrough, so north east. I have found my local independent school is recruiting now for a trainee English teacher, through the link BlueLeafTea posted, so I need to apply for that!

It is definitely on the job training I want, and I do need a salary to keep up with my bills- unless student finance was considerably generous!

Thanks, Scary!

HettyD Wed 30-Mar-16 16:31:08

Have a look at SCITT programmes if 'hands on' if what you are looking for...

Scarydinosaurs Wed 30-Mar-16 19:56:31

Good luck with your application!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now