Talk

Advanced search

What £ do gifts have to be declared?

(33 Posts)
RaniyaFi Sun 06-Mar-16 16:27:32

I want to get teacher something nice, without triggering paperwork etc - or awkwardness of her refusing it.

OP’s posts: |
RaniyaFi Sun 06-Mar-16 16:55:07

Aw - help me out people!

Are you going to say that it's not about the the cost but about DC picking something really special and personal?

RaniyaFi Sun 06-Mar-16 17:29:01

Gratuitous pictures aside - this is a real question!

colander1 Sun 06-Mar-16 17:34:33

I think we have to declare anything over 120 pounds (not that I have ever received anything even close!)

Much as I'd love the Ferrari (fingers crossed I teach one of your kids...) it really is the thought that counts. A letter (cc the head) about how wonderful I am, hand written card etc are the ones I treasure. If you must though, wine or John Lewis vouchers wink

colander1 Sun 06-Mar-16 17:35:38

By 'we' I meant in my school, not sure about anyone else...

fourcorneredcircle Sun 06-Mar-16 17:39:43

No mugs. Please, Please no more mugs! The really personal things count - I once got a translated selection of Polish recipes from a girl I'd taught and had found a shared love of baking with. But, with the best will in the world that sort of thing just doesn't happen much. In that case, I second Colander's CC the head letter and a card smile

I'm unsure about wine, I'm not a big drinker and being as I'm secondary where parent sightings are few and far between there is something very, very, wrong about the idea of a child handing me a bottle!

RaniyaFi Sun 06-Mar-16 17:46:57

That's more than I expected!

I'm budgeting in the £20-£30 range and I didn't know if that would end up as more trouble than it's worth.

RaniyaFi Sun 06-Mar-16 17:47:55

(.... Or was '120 pounds' a typo for £20...?)

noblegiraffe Sun 06-Mar-16 17:49:53

Email to the teacher copying in the head.

A gift to the teacher is nice, but knowing that the head has been told nice things about you would be better!

soapboxqueen Sun 06-Mar-16 17:49:58

Different LEAs/schools have different thresholds of at all. You'd have to ask at your child's school.

RaniyaFi Sun 06-Mar-16 17:56:57

I complained about her last term - and I think me, her and the head have probably reached our limit with emails and meaningful chats.

I want to show appreciation that she sorted things without making bad atmosphere - and I think that has to be something fun and frivolous with a shiny bow.

wonderpants Sun 06-Mar-16 18:03:03

Lovely bunch of spring flowers and a thank you card that says what you said?
Preferably on a Friday afternoon so they can enjoy them over the weekend.

RaniyaFi Sun 06-Mar-16 18:46:25

So no chance to use my Ferrari staff discount - darn!

colander1 Sun 06-Mar-16 19:16:29

120 not 20, at my school. I usually get wine, chocs, smellies etc but it is the cards that I keep on my wall forever! I did get a lovely necklace one year. It was quite plain and simple, so easy to wear with anything and I really appreciated it.

lilyboleyn Sun 06-Mar-16 19:58:10

To be fair, if you complained about her last term, no gift you can buy her will be appreciated as much as a hand written card with meaningful words inside.
I had a mother complain about me. My line manager told her she was wrong and I'd done nothing wrong. She bought me a gift to apologise but I'd rather she hadn't. Go with the card.

RaniyaFi Sun 06-Mar-16 20:27:05

She was wrong grin .

But not maliciously so - it was just one of those things - and she was meticulous in making it right and making sure I saw that it was right.

It's an ongoing 'situation' with communications going back and forth - which is why I feel a card/letter would just get mixed into the general conversation.

I want something fun - and not emotionally fraught like the tone of much of our previous contacts.

Musicaltheatremum Sun 06-Mar-16 21:06:43

GPs are supposed to declare gifts over £5. 😕

lilyboleyn Sun 06-Mar-16 21:21:41

£50 for us.

cheapandcheerful Sun 06-Mar-16 21:36:11

Why do you have to 'declare' gifts over a certain value? And who are you declaring them too?

I once received a very generous gift from a pupil's grateful parents and it never occurred to me to declare it to anyone... blush

lilyboleyn Sun 06-Mar-16 21:51:22

In case someone else accuses us of favouring a child because of bribery. We keep a registry in school.

colander1 Sun 06-Mar-16 22:49:20

Tax reasons I think also...

Louise43210 Sun 06-Mar-16 23:09:39

There are some shopping bags that you can get made with teachers name and comic-y picture. Good for taking work to and fro. A bit cheesy but nice.

RaniyaFi Mon 07-Mar-16 13:02:24

I feel a bit awkward using her first name...

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Sat 12-Mar-16 19:28:24

At our school it's £50.00. We are an academy and that's the amount for all schools within the chain. I'm not sure about other chains/local authorities.

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Sat 12-Mar-16 19:34:42

Also, it's difficult to say what would be most appreciated as that is down to personal taste. Although I like wine, I drink so rarely that it would be a complete waste of money. No one in the family drinks so I couldn't even pass it on. Personally, I like toiletries and use almost everything I am given. I have also had Amazon voucher that I used towards things for my hobby.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in