Talk

Advanced search

NQT interview primary advice

(9 Posts)
adriana126 Sat 05-Mar-16 10:58:45

Hi,

I have an interview next week for an NQT post at a school that I really want to work at.

I'm so worried about the lesson observation, as this will be my first interview.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

ArmchairTraveller Sat 05-Mar-16 11:00:57

Be very organised, have a plan available for your observers and make sure you have all the resources you need already prepared.
Adapt if the children don't get it, or need more challenge.
Good luck.

toomuchicecream Sat 05-Mar-16 11:49:37

Be ready to talk about what went well/not so well/how you would change the lesson if you taught it again/which children or groups of children you felt learnt best or worst. If you adapt your plan on the hoof, be ready to explain why. And explain where you would take the learning next.

Don't copy an idea straight from the internet - teachers know the lessons that are available on TES or similar and will recognise them. I was on an interview once where three of the candidates taught incredibly similar lessons.

Good luck from me too. If you don't get the job I can assure you there's a much better job out there for you, it just might not have been advertised yet. I can list a number of jobs I was devastated not to get at the time, but am now incredibly glad that I didn't!!

MsColouring Sat 05-Mar-16 12:09:05

Are you currently on placement? If so, could you talk through your lesson with your mentor - they will know your strengths that you need to show off in your lesson.

adriana126 Sat 05-Mar-16 12:49:55

Thank you guys for your advice.smile
Yes, I have a lesson plan and I've got the resources ready. I'm just worried if the children find the task too easy or challenging. It's only 20 minutes.

partystress Sat 05-Mar-16 12:59:29

If the children can write, labels and marker pens so they can write their names. Much easier and more natural for you to question and interact if you can call them by name.

ArmchairTraveller Sat 05-Mar-16 13:23:40

If they find it too easy, think off how you could extend their learning through open-ended questions. Doesn't need resources. smile

MsColouring Sat 05-Mar-16 16:59:30

My advice to students who haven't taught a topic to a group of children before is to have some opening questions that will help you get a feel for where they are working. Then think through how you might extend if you feel they might find it too easy or support if it looks like they might find it hard.

Maladicta Sun 06-Mar-16 20:53:04

Was in your shoes last week! Had an interview on Thursday for an NQT role.

I can PM you some questions which other students on my course have had. Lots have done pool interviews in West London.

I really second the idea of getting someone in your placement school to look over your lesson plan. I had to do a 45 minute mixed ability Maths lesson to a year 5 class. The KS2 phase leader took a look at my plan and gave me some tweaks which really helped.

Also remember - they don't expect the polished article now. You're just starting off as a teacher so the lesson won't be perfect.

Good luck!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now