Talk

Advanced search

Anyone Else Have a World Book Day Nightmare

(8 Posts)
Leah75 Thu 03-Mar-16 16:54:33

World Book Day Fun
druidsloom.co.uk/druid/world-book-day-how-has-this-suddenly-become-a-thing/

MrsGuyOfGisbo Thu 03-Mar-16 17:18:23

Secondary school I was in today, three-line whip on teachers to dress up, and read a passage form their fave book in every lesson ('cos teachers don't have enough to do already).
Kids were bit meh- some made an effort, but those that did 'dress up' wore their cool designer gear with a token mask or hat if asked what they were supposed to be. most kids turned up as usual in school uniform.

bumbleclat Thu 03-Mar-16 17:51:51

It was fun but the children where very high, it felt like the lead up to Christmas.
Back to my stick regime tomorrow ;)

bumbleclat Thu 03-Mar-16 17:52:12

strict*
smile

Trenzalor Thu 03-Mar-16 18:07:07

I was ready. Had my cat costume to put on, eyeliner to daub nose and whiskers. Running around like crazy I didn't get round to it and it got late. Then I said to my TA "not many people are dressed up". "We're not doing it." Can you imagine if I'd gotten my arse into gear early and was wandering the school dressed as a f***ing cat? I work PT btw. That's probably a given.

PhyllisDietrichson Tue 08-Mar-16 18:18:48

My DC's primary school did a range of outfit wearing days: world book day easter stuff, and any mufti day was themed. As working parent it would send my blood pressure through the roof trying to rapidly come up with a bee outfit say or a flower hat at short notice. It was as if the school thought that's all we did all day make outfits and cakes - hated it with a passion.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 12-Mar-16 15:51:27

DS2 has just gone into secondary. So not much fuss made about it in his school, at which I gave a sigh of relief. But then the secondary I work in has had specific mention of the school not doing enough to promote reading for pleasure. All we've done up to now is a few displays and hand the tokens out to the kids. The puoiks (and the parents I bet) have been happy with this. They do not want to dress up when they are 15 and 16, FGS. Ofsted are not happy about the lack of effort. I can see what will be happening for WBD next year - request for staff to dress up and o encourage the pupils to do the same. No-one wants to do it, Ofsted! Fuck off with telling schools what to do, I'm fed up of it!

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 12-Mar-16 15:53:09

Sorry, that should read: ""But then the secondary I work in has had specific mention of the school not doing enough to promote reading for pleasure during its latest inspection."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now