has anyone done a pgce as a single parent?

(8 Posts)
ginandmoregin Sun 28-Feb-16 08:56:05

I've got a place on a secondary MFL school direct course for September smile I'm a single parent to 2 DC aged 8 and 6. I'll get the 25K bursary, which is fab, but I'm wondering what else I'll be entitled to. I keep reading different things about whether or not I'll still get child tax credit.

Has anyone done/is doing a pgce as a single parent who can point me in the right direction?

Doowrah Sun 28-Feb-16 09:41:14

I did and I got Child Tax credit and I didn't have to pay Council tax and was entitled to Housing Benefit. That was 6 years ago...things may have changed.

cannotlogin Sun 28-Feb-16 16:59:01

the bursary isn't taxed so you essentially will have no income for tax credit purposes so will get full tax credit. I don't know how student finance works with school's direct as I did a PGCE at university, but I also got a childcare grant to the value of 80% of my childcare costs, a student loan and a couple of smaller grants (one for travel and books, one of their being no other income in the household).

I made money that year, I can tell you! I had had no money for 5 years previous so it was wonderful. I still have a good proportion of it in savings 5 years later and it's great to have that to fall back on.

Enjoy!

ginandmoregin Mon 29-Feb-16 19:02:42

Thanks! Yeah I'm hoping I'll be able to save a bit as it's a lot more than I earn right now. So can I get child tax credit as well as the childcare grant?

Steelojames Fri 04-Mar-16 06:44:09

I did my PGCE last Sep, as a single parent with a one year old!
It can be done, hardest year of my life but worth it as now half through NQT year and going part time in September!
Feel soooo proud of myself!
I got child tax credit, council tax benefit, grants and about £560 a month towards my monthly childcare costs.

cannotlogin Fri 04-Mar-16 12:23:06

yes, you can get child tax credit and a childcare grant. However, you can't get any tax credit for childcare if you're getting the grant.

rollonthesummer Fri 04-Mar-16 18:25:33

Are there no tuition fees?

Steelojames Fri 04-Mar-16 19:42:02

£9000 for the three terms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now