Talk

Advanced search

To resign or not?

(19 Posts)
Trenzalor Thu 25-Feb-16 21:31:44

Sadly I have realised, that despite loving working with children, my time in teaching is limited. Schools are no longer nice places to be and I don't believe in the tests education we are providing.

I am part time and today my head wanted to speak with me about not attending staff meetings (all held on a day I don't work and do something else). TBH I've just had enough now of being expected to sacrifice things for schools. Let's face it, staff meetings are often a waste of time.

If I resign tomorrow (not in Monday) I can leave April 30th. If I don't I'm stuck until July. However, I don't have a job lined up and neither does my partner (he's been looking after our child while I worked PT). But if I don't resign neither of us will be able to get another job. Catch 22!

Am I crazy to consider resigning tomorrow?

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 25-Feb-16 21:33:08

No, just sign up with an agency and work supply until you find something else

Trenzalor Thu 25-Feb-16 21:35:00

Good point. I could bridge the gap that way.

nashley Thu 25-Feb-16 21:38:52

Get out of it. It's making you unhappy. Life is too short. I did last year and don't regret it at all x

KleineDracheKokosnuss Thu 25-Feb-16 21:39:57

Resign tomorrow and do supply. Are you secondary or primary?

Trenzalor Thu 25-Feb-16 21:40:50

Primary.

Trenzalor Thu 25-Feb-16 21:41:23

Really tough class out of my comfort zone this term as well.

PotteringAlong Thu 25-Feb-16 21:42:27

As long as supply will bridge the gap then do it.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 25-Feb-16 21:44:36

I'd be very nervous about resigning and leaving you both jobless. Can you afford to live? For how long? Do you have a plan of what you want to do next?

As a qualified teacher I have never struggled to get work. I now teach adults which is much more flexible (but not as well paid!). But if you are coming out of teaching altogether surely you need a plan before jumping ship? I know it's grim in schools atm but the problems you describe are there in every school I've ever been in. At least you know this place and can stick it out easily enough until you know what you're going to do next.

Sorry if I sound harsh!

Trenzalor Fri 26-Feb-16 06:13:44

Okay. Talking to my OH, I am going to try and stick it out until July. I have longer to plan and the class don't have more disruption (I was moved in this term after they had two other PT teachers). However, if the head hacks me off today she can have my notice today.

RememberToSmile1980 Fri 26-Feb-16 06:30:37

As a fellow teacher who is also having a rough time, I totally understand how you feel! However try and stick it out until July and look for something in between now and then X good luck X

IHeartKingThistle Fri 26-Feb-16 16:41:53

Hope you had an OK day OP. Give yourself time to get a kick-ass plan. Good things are out there! flowers

Trenzalor Fri 26-Feb-16 16:57:25

The kids have been great. I didn't see the head today so no showdown, but the union have got back to me and agree with me about extra hours. I have a weekend to reflect.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 26-Feb-16 17:16:23

Can I just point out the huge grey area between doing everything the head asks and your actual contract.

The head won't fire you for not going to the meetings on days you don't work.

I know you know this grin but all the teachers I know seem totally unable to shrug their shoulders and just go 'no'. You know how hard it is to get rid of under performing colleagues? Well, be one of them grin (not really, but stop acquiescing all the time)

Trenzalor Fri 26-Feb-16 17:53:27

Agreed LFC.

CremeEggThief Fri 26-Feb-16 18:02:39

Definitely stick it out until the summer. Put 31st August as your resignation date, so you get paid until then. And talk to anyone you know who does supply in your area before you go. It's all very well thinking you can just do supply, but it's not always that simple. My first stint on supply between March 2011 and March 2012: 10 days work. Second time around, between April 2015 and now: 11 days, and nothing since November (although I now have a regular day and a half a week as a supply Nursery T.A. since January), and that's with a different agency and local authority too. Most schools in my area cover in-house, use old members of staff or HLTAS. The LEA give most of their work to supply teachers they've had for years. Therefore, there's very little available for supply newbies.

Trenzalor Fri 26-Feb-16 21:48:08

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'm going to stick it out, I really don't want to abandon my children and the union are behind me on the other issues.

I will care about the children and not giving a flying f*ck about anything else.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Sat 27-Feb-16 16:14:40

It is better to get on the supply bandwagon before September. September is usually slow, and they will call people they already know first. Plenty of supply work around now. If you are PT, definitely worth singing up with some agencies, and doing a few days supply on you days off to get known , if your partner is not working and can cover childcare.

Trenzalor Sat 27-Feb-16 16:19:04

Thanks - that's a great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now