Letter of Resignation

(9 Posts)
Theimpossiblegirl Mon 15-Feb-16 18:29:56

As per my previous posts I'm handing in my notice after half term.
How do I word my letter of resignation? I just want to keep it basic (got a reference to protect).

Also, am I right in thinking if I leave at the end of the summer term, I should put 31st August as my date so I get the summer pay packet. I'm not really sure how it works, so advice/tips appreciated.

parrotonmyshoulder Mon 15-Feb-16 18:38:54

Dear...
I would like to resign from my post as... at...school, with effect from 31st August 2016.
Yours....

No need for frills, thanks, explanations etc. All that can come later if necessary.

Lizsmum Mon 15-Feb-16 20:25:17

There is usually a form you can fill in so you might not need to write a letter. The admin person should know - if you're happy to tell him/her your plans.

toomuchicecream Mon 15-Feb-16 20:45:48

What parrot says. With, if you feel so inclined, an additional paragraph that says something like

Thank you for the opportunity to work at x school. I wish you all the very best for the future.

I've sometimes used deliberately vague phrases like "I have learnt so much whilst working here" or "the children here are very special and I will always remember them".

IguanaTail Wed 17-Feb-16 16:02:04

Why hand in your notice now? The date is May 31st to leave at end of August?

Make sure you state "31st August 2016"'and that your final day of work will be whatever the last day of term is.

"Thank you for all the opportunities at Tossy High" is fine.

1944dadhelp Wed 17-Feb-16 19:42:33

Watching with interest OP, I too am resigning on Monday but hoping to leave at the end of the spring term, I believe my school can make me stay though until April 30th as I'm totally leaving teaching!!
Where are you off to?

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 17-Feb-16 22:15:12

I don't know yet, but last summer term there were jobs advertised that I couldn't apply for, so I'm either looking for a new school, going to do supply, or seeing what else comes up.

DH can cover our living costs for a few months while I sort it out, especially if i get the August pay packet.

Iguana
I want to give my current school plenty of time to advertise for a replacement, it's all on good terms and I have a reference to protect.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 17-Feb-16 22:36:06

I think that if you are leaving one school at Easter to go to another, then you don't return after the Easter break when Easter is as early as it is this year. If you are leaving to go to a different type of job, they can, in theory, tell you to come back until 30th April. If they have recruited a teacher in your place though, there would be little point.

parrotonmyshoulder Thu 18-Feb-16 10:27:11

If you are on good terms then some heads can be flexible. I started a job after May half term last year. Had been advertised for Sept but new school was desperate for a teacher to start, old school were happy enough for me to go (expensive and they knew they would lose my role in Sept anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now