Talk

Advanced search

How do I make the break?

(6 Posts)
Theimpossiblegirl Sun 07-Feb-16 16:37:08

It has taken me several attempts to write this post. I think I have had enough. I can't go on with the workload, the constant feeling of not doing enough/not being good enough and never feeling on top of things, no matter how hard I try.

I'm a good teacher, I make a difference, I care, I'm creative and passionate and work so hard to help the children reach their potential. I have taken everything they've thrown at me and given it my best shot but I feel so worn down by the system, by constant pressure from SLT and by the guilt of not being there enough for my own family. I also feel really sad for the children having their Primary education screwed about with for political gain, it's shit and I'm glad my own kids are in Secondary now and had nice primary experiences with less pressure.

So, do I leave teaching altogether? Are all schools like this? I really, really don't want to quit teaching but I also know I can't carry on like this for another 20+ years. I'm very tempted to just hand in my notice for the end of the summer term and see what happens, but I'm scared. We need my income but we can cut back as long as I bring something in.

ArmchairTraveller Sun 07-Feb-16 17:08:59

Supply.
That way you get to see a lot of different schools and no, they aren't the same at all. I did it a few years ago. Dropped my income by around half but worth it. Now we don't have as much money, but I have a life I actually enjoy living.

ImperialBlether Sun 07-Feb-16 17:12:59

I wouldn't teach supply. I would be worried that the most stressed out teachers are those going off sick.

Can you think of another career you'd be happy doing? I've left teaching after a long time and don't know anyone who's happy in it now, so I'd be reluctant to encourage you to try another school.

Theimpossiblegirl Sun 07-Feb-16 17:32:49

I'm pretty sure I have lots of transferable skills. I'm good with people, computers, have excellent organisation skills and am creative. My degree is Education/Early Years and I live in a rural area where much of the employment is either low pay or seasonal or both. I could commute but don't ant to be based too far from home. It's a scary time but I am going to do it. Just need to find a way...

leccybill Tue 09-Feb-16 10:14:57

I quit in July after 11 years. I'd had enough for the same reasons as you.
I've been doing part time supply since then and massively enjoying it. It's so nice to feel valued again ('oh I'm so glad it's you' from the children and staff, etc) after years or being made to feel like I wasn't working hard enough. I earn about a third less than before but my mental health is restored.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Tue 09-Feb-16 12:21:45

Completely agree about supply.
If you are good you will be asked back repeatedly to the same schools, so build up a relationship with the staff and children. You work the days you want, and go home at 3/3.15/3.30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now