Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stay or go?

(13 Posts)
Leslieknope45 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:36:24

Currently work in a 4 rated comp with poor behaviour and poor leadership. I am a HOD. Results are well below national average.

A job has come up at another school that is 'just' a classroom teacher position. Outstanding school, good ethos, from what I can tell off the website. Amazing results.

Is it worth taking a pay cut and a demotion to work at a 'nicer' school? Or should I stay where I am? Obviously I don't know if I will get the job!

I just feel at the end of my tether with students bringing in knives or throwing tables. On the flip side- I love the staff here, the kids can be incredible, it's close to home and I'm a head of department.

RememberToSmile1980 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:42:09

As a fellow teacher, I am an in outstanding school as a HOF. There will be other pressures involved to maintain the high standards. Firstly - could you afford the decrease in salary? Would you be happy to become just a classroom teacher? Just a few things to ponder over!

RememberToSmile1980 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:42:39

*in an - sorry

nailsathome Sun 07-Feb-16 08:50:39

I did and I am much happier as "just a teacher"

Leslieknope45 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:51:22

Oh I'm sure there are lots of pressures to stay outstanding!

I should add that because we are special measures we are going through redundancies and I have an inkling (but no one has said) that they will crap my subject to make more hours available for core subjects.
I couldn't really afford the pay cut except that it's the smallest TLR that there is.

Tollygunge Sun 07-Feb-16 08:52:54

I'm also considering being 'just' a teacher. Realistically though, would a school want to employ someone so expensive on ups 3 when they can get a much cheaper nqt?

Leslieknope45 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:56:09

I think you could be in the best position this year for that though tolly
Last time we tried to appoint we got 1 applicant and they were on ups.

I'm only m3 so I still don't cost too much. It's a big school too, so I think there are likely to be opportunities for progression at some stage.

On the other hand they seem to want 4 new teachers of my subject, 4 new science teachers, 1 history teacher and a new Head- bad sign? We have low staff turnover in my current school.

RememberToSmile1980 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:00:52

In that case - go for it!

Scarydinosaurs Sun 07-Feb-16 09:01:19

You might have low staff turnover because after teaching in a 'bad' school for a while, people struggle to get promotions, whereas in more successful schools you get more movement?

I would definitely apply- a happier work environment can make you feel completely differently about teaching. Just think, you'll be able to actually teach and not just do behaviour management all the time!

RememberToSmile1980 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:01:54

A lot of staff in outstanding schools get their experience and tend to move on to promotions. Could you arrange a visit and see what it's like before you apply?

Leslieknope45 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:14:29

I think going in to visit might be a very good idea.
And yes- actually teaching at not just stopping them kicking off would be absolutely incredible!

noblegiraffe Sun 07-Feb-16 12:03:05

They might be a bit suspicious about why a HOD would take a demoted post on lower pay, so have your answers prepared.

I would be wary of a school advertising that many posts at this point in the year, it suggests that workload/management at the new school might be a problem. Is there any way you can get some inside info?

MrsGuyOfGisbo Sun 07-Feb-16 15:09:29

from what I can tell off the website
Do not be swayed by this! There is a dire school near me that has a full time paid PR person to big up their website etc.
A high turnover is a warning signal - as a previous poster said, try to get inside info, or ask for a visit and try to get a feel for the place -ask searching questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now