Talk

Advanced search

Year 1 Help Please!

(5 Posts)
HippyDippyDooDaa Wed 03-Feb-16 19:57:42

So, I'm returning to teaching after more than 10 years to stay home with my kids. I was offered a job doing PPA cover in KS2 - which I felt reasonably happy with as most of my experience was KS2. Now I've been asked to do maths & English intervention in year 1 and I have no idea!
I'll have the teacher's planning but will need to modify it for kids working at reception level. I know she'll support me but I don't want to rely on her too much as she's got enough to do!!
Can anyone point me to some good websites that will help me catch up, hide my ignorance and give me some creative ideas, please?

MsColouring Wed 03-Feb-16 20:05:58

For maths - kangaroo maths is where it's at at the moment. There are overviews for every year group with links to NRich and other good resources.

If you're a paid up member of Twinkl, their resources are great and fully up to date with the new curriculum.

Snappy maths is good for worksheets and has links to maths games.

English - phonics play, teach your monster to read.

TES - is also good.

ladygracie Wed 03-Feb-16 20:08:39

Lots and lots of practical work. Second twinkl and phonics play.

jarofcalm Thu 04-Feb-16 17:57:07

Yes for maths go heavy on the practical. Counters, numicon and small toys. Agree twinkl has great resources - loads of brilliant phonics ones.

HippyDippyDooDaa Thu 04-Feb-16 21:47:26

Thank you very much for the advice; I feel a little more confident now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now