Best way to use a TA

(8 Posts)
NatashaAndrei Mon 25-Jan-16 19:46:53

I'm extremely excited- I'm getting a TA! They aren't very common here. I'm not used to having another adult in the room at all!

I teach the equivalent of Y6. She is in my class for just over an hour every day, between break and lunch.

I am pretty much self-sufficient wrt things like homework and filing, and I think there are better uses of another body!

During that time I normally do direct teaching, active stations and a plenary. I felt bad today because she was just kind of hovering. I thought about making a timetable for each child to spend a few minutes alone with her? IDK.

noblegiraffe Mon 25-Jan-16 21:39:56

Pick your most needy kids and have her take them out for some small group work, catching up with numeracy and literacy.

A few minutes with every child will have no impact. She needs to focus her attentions.

Maidupmum Mon 25-Jan-16 22:19:30

Give your class a task (or several differentiated tasks) and use her to supervise while you- the qualified teacher- spend time with your most vulnerable learners. They need your qualifications the most so don't leave their education to the TA all the time.

IoraRua Mon 25-Jan-16 22:23:30

Agreed with asking her to support the main class. Set them up with a task, explain clearly and get her to keep them on track/answer questions. This will give you time to support needy groups.

noblegiraffe Mon 25-Jan-16 22:37:36

I suppose it depends on her qualifications.

fourcorneredcircle Tue 26-Jan-16 10:04:22

What Maid and Iora said - absolutely best practice unless the TA is there to support one student with very specific needs (such as - but not limited to - a motor disability that requires a scribe, or a V/H I impairment).

What noble said is a good point too though. If they have a particular qualification/strength in one area then use that. If they have no qualifications or experience (I'm assuming you are abroad?) then you'll have to play it by ear and start with simple 1:1 tasks.

Pointlessfan Tue 26-Jan-16 10:08:41

They could also work with more able kids to stretch them with more challenging work.

fourcorneredcircle Tue 26-Jan-16 10:14:35

Good point, er, point!

Be wary though - you should be seen as the expert, not the T.A. (generally) and therefore it should be the same as the point WRT the whole class and you working with, in this case, the most able.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now