Talk

Advanced search

Mini-meltdown

(12 Posts)
theluckiest Sun 24-Jan-16 22:45:06

It's ok, don't worry - just a blip. So it's Sunday night and yet again I'm planning, marking and sorting resources for the week. Ten thirty on Sunday and I'm still not finished. Same old, same old.

But I just realised that my kids have gone to bed and yet again, I missed it. Wolfed dinner down earlier because I had school stuff to do. When I popped to the shops yesterday I was ticking over Monday's lessons in my mind. I just cannot switch off and I have this constant sick feeling that I am missing my kids growing up because I'm constantly thinking about work / working.

Made me really sad earlier (and I was getting pissed off with a resource for tomorrow which tipped me over the edge!!) - I lost it. Snotty crying and telling DH that I didn't want this life anymore. I'm good at my job, have fabulously supportive colleagues and am doing well career-wise. Only been teaching 5 years after a career change but I'm not sure how long I can do this for. Anyone else feel like this? Tell me what you do to shut off from work. Any practical tips to shake myself out of this slump?

Fyaral Sun 24-Jan-16 22:50:28

I feel you. Its shit. No tips as Im looking for a way out.

TwllBach Sun 24-Jan-16 22:55:50

Nope, no tips. I'm pregnant and not living with DP and am struggling with motivation and the workload. I am four years in and just exhausted.

justtheonethen Sun 24-Jan-16 23:00:45

Feel your pain. We are ttc number 1 and I'm really struggling to see how I'll cope if I do have a child.

Primaryteach87 Sun 24-Jan-16 23:13:22

Would it be viable to go part time, maybe Tuesday-Thursday so you can truly switch off and be with the kids. I left teaching for similar reasons and despite (theoretically) less holiday and (actually) a lot less money, the grass truly is greener. Love the end of August and Sunday nights not feeling sick with stress!!

theluckiest Sun 24-Jan-16 23:45:54

Thanks all...comforting to know it's not just me. How did it get this bad?!! In the 5 years I've been teaching it's got considerably worse workload wise. When will it stop?!

Sadly, part-time not really possible as I'm Y6 (so NO-ONE wants to job share!!)

nashley Sun 24-Jan-16 23:49:30

I gave up teaching partly because of this too - so sad.
The only offering I have is do you use websites such as twinkl, clickteaching, tes etc. to have planning more or less done for you? I know you have to adapt for your class but much easier than starting from a blank sheet.
Sorry I can't be more help sad

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 24-Jan-16 23:51:51

And that is why I left. My three are too young to understand me ignoring them for much of the weekend while I plan. I am too tired with sleepless nights to be marking until midnight.

BackforGood Sun 24-Jan-16 23:59:35

But you don't always have to be Yr6 (and, I don't see why Yr6 is less able to be a job share than any other year).
I too would say the only way to make it work as a teacher is to do it part time. there aren't enough hours in the week otherwise.

jellyfrizz Mon 25-Jan-16 12:19:36

It's not just you. I feel like this and I'm already part time. I've made the decision to leave.

noblegiraffe Mon 25-Jan-16 14:26:16

I think January is a crap time anyway. Christmas is wearing off but you can still remember what it was like to have a life, and there's nothing coming up to look forward to. Summer is still a long way off.

leccybill Mon 25-Jan-16 14:31:25

No tips, just sympathy. I had to take a massive leap and leave. Only have 1 DD, can't have more, and didn't want her childhood to pass me by while I had my head in a pile of exercise books - no way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now