Talk

Advanced search

Intervention teaching at KS1 and KS2

(3 Posts)
LilyW36 Sat 09-Jan-16 14:19:13

I have recently started a job teaching small groups for interventions in English and Maths, which I'm enjoying so far. However, as this role is quite new to me I was hoping for some advice or tips on how to manage it. It's quite a fast paced job as I have several groups per day for 30-45 minute sessions and the school has recently opened so I am given a lot of freedom towards how I manage it as it is a role that is still developing.

The children I teach are Year 1 and Year 3 and the majority are working below age expected levels. I have 6 children in each group and I am trying to follow the teachers' planning so that I cover the same sort of subject but at a lower level. I've been asked to record evidence of the work the children do and I will be doing this in exercise books specific to the intervention. As each session is quite short, I am not sure what to expect in regards to the amount of work produced. It will obviously need to be at a quick pace which is something I need to get used to as I have come from a classroom based teaching role where each lesson was 1 hour+. For this term, I am thinking of concentrating on sentence structure in English and in Maths I will be doing a lot of basic number work. I am not sure if I will have a classroom yet but it is looking likely that I will have a room (but not any ICT resources.)

I would be grateful if anyone could share ideas or advice on how to make the intervention teaching successful. Would like to hear of practical things that worked well or short activities that were successful.

SisterViktorine Sat 09-Jan-16 17:07:41

I think you will find that you can cover as much content in 30 minutes with a group of 6 as you can in an hour with 30 because there is so much less faffing.

I think you need to build very good working relationships with the class teachers so you are completely clear between you about each child's individual barriers to progress, and then design schemes of work that address each child's needs. You will probably have to be quite creative to do this as, even if they are working at the same level, their barriers- and therefore the reason they are behind- could be wildly different.

So, for example, if I'm working on multiplying fractions I might be focusing on one pupil's recall of multiplication facts, another's conceptual difficulties with fractions and another's ability to record their workings in an organised way so they don't get lost... etc. Intervention work (to me) is about getting right down to the individual level and being able to give tonnes of really targeted verbal feedback in real time- which you just can't for 30.

In terms of record keeping, yes I expect the books will be important, but also you will need to record identified barriers, which bit of the intervention targets these and evaluate (and evidence) how effective it is over time at lifting the barrier.

LilyW36 Tue 12-Jan-16 11:54:17

Thank you for your advice, it's very helpful.

The teachers/TAs are reluctant to bring the children to me so sessions look like they will be a bit longer to make up for the time I'm transporting children to/from classrooms. It looks as if the time will be 45 - 60 minutes per intervention session.

I will try and identify the barriers as soon as possible - the teachers are all quite new and do not seem to know the children very well so hopefully I can do that as I get to know them within the next few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now