Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Marking "Big" birthdays

(7 Posts)
abbieangel Tue 29-Dec-15 14:05:54

I think this maybe should be titled AIBU

My school has a new Head who has taken to announcing the big ")" birthdays publicly in the staffroom. Of course I am sure most will think he is being " nice" in knowing when birthdays are etc. but I feel its rather embarrassing and a bit wrong.

Firstly, I dont want the whole staffroom knowing how old I am. My age is my business and I am getting to that "certain " age with a big "0" due up in the next two years. I do not want it announced ( ht gets the information off personnel files accessed by his secretary). He has not asked or told anyone he is about to announce they are 40, 50 or 60 or whatever.....

Secondly, I have also noticed that when staff reach 60 he has also started asking them to retire. It seems to be an excuse for bullying people.

Am I being unreasonable? Is this a widespread practice now?

Campaspe Tue 29-Dec-15 15:45:25

I'm not a teacher, so feel free to ignore, but I don't think it's unreasonable to feel uncomfortable with being shoved in the limelight in this way. Could you consider a quiet word with his assistant, pleading shyness and dislike of attention?

VintageDresses Tue 29-Dec-15 15:54:20

I've just started at a new school too and all birthdays are marked. I hate it. The dates go on the board in the staff room but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about it. Some people get a big fanfare and others a card.

Asking people to retire at 60 is a whole other thing though - he would know when their 60th is regardless.

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 29-Dec-15 16:27:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 22:03:11

I think you can ask the secretary to remove you from the public birthday celebrations list.

With regards to the retirement at 60, if this worries you, perhaps get some legal advice so that you know where you stand if he tries to do this to you.

Salmotrutta Wed 30-Dec-15 14:28:19

Doing a big birthday announcement is fine if the birthday person has been asked beforehand.

I'd be embarrassed if this was done to me as I hate fuss.

I've seen pregnancies being announced in the staff room without asking the pregnant woman! shock

abbieangel Wed 30-Dec-15 20:36:02

Thank you for your views everyone.

Laundryfairy -the 60 thing doesnt bother me as I am not anywhere near there yet but I can see how it has worried one or two members of staff. Besides, the TPS have changed the rules and no one can retire at60 now unless they take reduced pensions or change their pensions to ones with less favourable conditions. I can see how that can affect people. Also, there is state pension to consider as the state oension age has risen now to 66 for many ( I think its 70 for me but I lost track sometime ago) and my father tells me that people cannot be made to retire, its illegal, so this is a form of bullying. I feel for the people because its clear some are being made to leave when they do not want to go. If the Head wants to make redundancies etc. I think he should be honest about it- but thats just me.

What concerns me is that the Head seems to think its OK to put pressure on people.

I do not like fuss over birthdays and I think I will go and tell the secretary I do not want my birthday publically announced, just because I do not like such things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now