Talk

Advanced search

Massive price increase in the registration cost for the general teaching council for Wales

(8 Posts)
CharleyDavidson Mon 14-Dec-15 22:11:02

Or whatever they are calling themselves.

It used to be £33, and we got a subsidy in our pay for £33.

Then it went up to £45ish and we still got the subsidy, so it cost us £12 ish.

Now they are raising the cost to £78 so it will cost us £45 annually just to belong.

BigcatLittlecat Mon 14-Dec-15 22:51:16

That's dreadful! Why such a raise? Last year I was on supply and I had to pay it all. That's most of someones daily rate now!

echt Tue 15-Dec-15 10:34:48

I've just been on their website.

They are just like the VIT in Australia; money-gouging arseholes.

When it was pointed out to VIT that they had never actually raised the profile of teachers in Victoria, as per their "mission statement", they withdrew it from their website.

A bunch of cunts.

Very like the Welsh counterpart.

swashbucklecheer Tue 15-Dec-15 10:38:06

In NI we used to get our registration paid for but now we have to cough up ourselves I think it's about £45 (what exactly they do for our money is still a mystery )

Euphemia Tue 15-Dec-15 17:49:38

£50 a year in Scotland, paid for by ourselves.

kjwh Sat 19-Dec-15 18:03:01

Think yourselves lucky. Other professions pay far more. Anything under £100 p.a. is a bargain for a profession.

cardibach Sat 19-Dec-15 21:09:22

Other professions' bodies actually do something, though, kjwh. I have no idea what the GTC is for.

CharleyDavidson Sat 19-Dec-15 21:30:51

My post is more about the rise in cost, rather than having to pay full stop.

Apparently, on the news that the GTCW was going to rebrand itself as the EWC, the membership cost was discussed. The Welsh Government suggested that next year's costs should rise to £49 with the teachers paying £45 and a reduced subsidy covering the rest. Why then, will it cost us £78 next year then? They've ignored the advice and it's going to cose the counties that employ us. We'll still pay the £45, but the counties will be forking out £33 per teacher instead of £4.

And the rise comes at a time when they've extended the requirement to be registered to further ed teachers AND classroom assistants etc, therefore massively increasing their membership revenue.

And yes, apart from rapping your knuckles and striking you off, I'm not entirely sure what they actually do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now