Talk

Advanced search

Can a HOD make you go on a trip?

(19 Posts)
reallifegetsintheway Thu 26-Nov-15 19:20:57

Brief scenario- I am 0.5 PT. HOD 'expects' me to do a residential trip next summer. DC are 7 and 10. This would make childcare tricky due to DH's job. What are your thoughts? Contract says 'assist with educational visits'.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 26-Nov-15 19:22:29

No they can't is the short answer.

reallifegetsintheway Thu 26-Nov-15 19:24:05

Easier said than done - tightening the guilt screws..

Celticlassie Thu 26-Nov-15 19:25:06

Surely not outwith your contracted hours.

reallifegetsintheway Thu 26-Nov-15 19:26:40

I work in an independent school if that alters things.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 26-Nov-15 19:29:07

Of course they can make you feel guilty and bring it up in your appraisal but they still can't make you go

I work in 2 independent schools and usually they just find someone else, there's always loads of fab trips (China/usA) and they don't have problems finding staff to go

There are plenty who have young children and can't go

reallifegetsintheway Thu 26-Nov-15 19:35:41

That's the main issue - Appraisal / personal development. I have no to stuff in the past and it has been put on there as a negative e.g. not doing things considered 'reasonable' even when I thought it was an unreasonable request

HermioneWeasley Thu 26-Nov-15 19:37:23

You're being given lots of notice - surely you can arrange some childcare with this much notice?

wannabestressfree Thu 26-Nov-15 19:43:49

Hermione has a point....

fluffypenguinbelly Thu 26-Nov-15 19:44:25

I have always refused to do residentials on account of me having a life that I don't want to put on hold for 5 days for free. I think people that do residentials are lovely, kind and mad and that if everyone started putting their foot down about them then people might start getting paid for working so much overtime, especially TAs.

I don't know how it works in the private sector though.

Hermione - surely the point is that she shouldn't have to, unless she wants to? I don't know if there are any 'rules' about the independent sector but this sounds far more like a case of the HoD trying to manipulate the OP, than a reasonable expectation of all staff, unless it's in their contract.

Scarydinosaurs Thu 26-Nov-15 19:51:08

Hermione, she isn't paid to do the residential, so would have to pay for childcare and essentially then pay to go to work.

HermioneWeasley Thu 26-Nov-15 19:57:22

I don't know if they are offering her time back, or to pay it, or are saying that once a year or every couple of years you have to suck it up.

If the job otherwise suits, I'd try to find a way to be accommodating.

balletgirlmum Thu 26-Nov-15 19:59:46

Dh teaches & has taught part time in independent schools. He would not have been able to do a residential like that because he worked elsewhere on his days off.

Bubbletree4 Thu 26-Nov-15 20:11:22

I think the part time thing is probably a red herring as surely even FT staff can't be expected to automatically go on residentials - which will be outwith everyone's contracted hours (?)

Could you perhaps bargain a bit and offer to help out with something else in lieu of this trip or offer to try and find another member of staff who could go?

It sounds like you don't have a great relationship with this boss. Most bosses would just say that they'd ask someone else. I have a friend working in a private school and he will often go on residential trips as a favour(ie those not related to his subject/kids he's responsible for). He often is asked as they need to take an appropriate number of male/female staff or he has friends in other departments who essentially offer him the chance to go on the paid for holiday in exchange for helping look after the kids. I have another friend working in a private school (different school) and her staff all seem to be friendly with eachother, I can't imagine anyone in her school insisting a particular member of staff must go against their wishes.

MidniteScribbler Fri 27-Nov-15 01:09:40

I think that if it is your grade or your subject area, then you need to go. I'm a single parent to nearly 4yo DS and it's part of the job. I just need to find childcare for those days.

miaowroar Fri 27-Nov-15 11:15:31

As Balletgirlmum says, the fact that someone is part time does not necessarily mean that they are available on those other days. If the OP had another job then there would be no way she could go on a 5-day residential trip. In any case, being part time means you have other commitments on the days you don't work for the school - whatever they are.

teacher54321 Fri 27-Nov-15 14:37:33

How long is the trip and how far away is it? And you say it makes childcare 'tricky'. Does it make it impossible? Is it a trip directly linked to your subject? Sounds like you've just decided 'no', and if that has already been flagged up in a previous year's appraisal I would suck it up. IME having worked in independent schools for 10 years this is the kind of thing that (rightly or wrongly) really doesn't go down well with management.

GinandJag Tue 01-Dec-15 18:13:17

My first teaching job was in a state school and I had to go on a residential trip on the second week. The only concession to family life was that I could take my own car rather that a school coach (in case I had a family emergency). It was fine until the second day when my milk started creeping over my shoulders. Don't ask about day 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now