Talk

Advanced search

Nervous about taking assembly

(6 Posts)
BoysRule Mon 23-Nov-15 12:54:02

I have been out of teaching for over three years and am currently doing a 2 day a week teaching job. I have to do a 20 minute assembly and am a bit nervous - I haven't done one for 5 plus years. I know the content I am doing but it's just the standing up in front of children/teachers bit.

Any tips to make this less of a nightmare experience?

Thanks

glamorousgrandmother Mon 23-Nov-15 13:46:28

I used to enjoy taking assembly. Two tips: try to speak from memory so you are not reading notes, that way you can look directly at the children and move around so they have to watch you and don't know what to expect. I also used to like picking children to help hold things or act out parts, they used to behave well in the hope of getting picked. This was for KS1 assembly so might not apply if you have older children.

IguanaTail Mon 23-Nov-15 19:48:50

Maybe show a short clip if you can - takes the focus off you for a couple of minutes. The Pixar short film "boundin'" is really good - 2 mins or so and has lots of lessons that can be learned from it.

Look around for some familiar faces. Don't worry it will go fine!

rollonthesummer Tue 24-Nov-15 08:21:58

I hate taking assemblies too- I get very nervous and feel like my voice goes funny! We don't have an IWB in the hall either sad

profpoopsnagle Tue 24-Nov-15 22:44:41

Also add in personal elements-children like stories about your life! And try to get them involved- holding things up, answering questions etc.

leccybill Fri 04-Dec-15 22:18:43

If using slides, use a USB clicker so you don't nee to stand next to the laptop, you can then pace around a bit and feel a little easier. Getting up and getting their attention is the hardest bit. Once you've got them, you're in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now